Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

I discovered something on the Rim's

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:38 AM

The only tires I have seen on any HHR in my area is the dang Firestones. LS, 1LT, 2LT, 16" or 17", all of them have the same thing. That was one of the things I was going to ask the dealer whe I ordered - Is there any chance to get a different brand tire? Maybe they will work with me and swap for a minimal charge.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by crazybob
You do know that it's the TIRES that throw off the balance the most, not the wheels, right?
crazybob, actually I didn't... at least the tires causing most of the out of balance conditions.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Long_Tall_Texan
The only tires I have seen on any HHR in my area is the dang Firestones. LS, 1LT, 2LT, 16" or 17", all of them have the same thing.
That's what I thought. I have a 2LT with the 17" polished rims and mine came with Firehawk GTAs.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM

Hmmm - my 1LT came with Firestome Affinity's - their top of the line touring tire. Rated at 70k miles. Guess I got lucky!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 AM

I am sure that Firestone does make good tires. I have just been brainwashed over the years from my grandpa and my dad telling me that Firestones are no good. Then about the time I started to believe that the bad rep they had years ago was probably long past, then the whole F*rd Explorer thing happened. That made me lose faith again. I know world class companies like Firestone take corrective action very quickly and probably have higher standards now than most other tire companies due to the blowout problems. But, I still have that not so great feeling about them.

That being said, my 2003 Suburban had firestones on it when I purchased it. They lasted 48,000 miles with no problems. Actually had plenty of tread left when I replaced them, but would rather be safe than sorry since that is my wife's daily driver. I replaced them with goodyears and they have noticable and excessive wear in the 6 months/10,000 miles on them.

Best tires I ever bought were probably the no-name A/T tires from the farm supply store that ran me $165 out the door mounted, balanced, with road hazard and lifetime rotate/balance included.

Guess that just goes to show you that you never can tell until you try them for yourself.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by brefer33
is this your first car?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Wow, who would of thought Tires and weight's on rims would be a populary topic I started here. Thanks everyone so far for there input. I'm sure we all learned something out of all of this. Chevyhhr.net is very informative community
Old 11-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Long_Tall_Texan
I am sure that Firestone does make good tires. I have just been brainwashed over the years from my grandpa and my dad telling me that Firestones are no good....That being said, my 2003 Suburban had firestones on it when I purchased it. They lasted 48,000 miles with no problems....
Sorry for the partial quote...

That's about the time Bridgestone bought out Firestone!
Type in http://www.firestone.com/ and see what happens.

Bridgestone has much higher quality standards than Firestone ever did. That said, I would NEVER have chosen Firestones for my car. However, I have been pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of ride, traction and handling the Affinity's offer - and they are rated at 500 on treadwear! (*Being in the automotive industry for over 20-years, I've never seen a tire rated this high!)

Just thought it was interesting, (my next tires won't be 'Stone's though!)
Old 11-17-2005, 04:52 PM

May be we need to think twice about Firestone...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/17/D8DUFHS06.html

Firestone Accused of Using Slave Labor
Nov 17 4:40 PM US/Eastern

By GARY GENTILE
AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES

A federal lawsuit filed Thursday accuses tire maker Bridgestone Firestone of employing slave labor and child labor on its massive rubber plantation in Liberia.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court, seeks class action on behalf of 12 adult workers and 23 children who work and live on the "Firestone Plantation" in Harbel, Liberia.

The suit claims the workers are trapped in a "gulag of misery" and forced to work under conditions that have changed little since the plantation was founded in 1926.

"The plantation workers are modern day slaves, forced to work by the coercion of poverty, with the prospect of starvation just one complaint about conditions away," the lawsuit states.

The Japanese company, with North American headquarters in Nashville, Tenn., said it had not been served with the lawsuit, but said the claims were "completely without merit.' Bridgestone Firestone North American Tire is a unit of Bridgestone Corp.

The company said its workers are represented by a labor union, are highly paid, and that no one under 18 is employed. The company also has a strict policy against child labor.

"Firestone Liberia has a courageous and hard working leadership team comprised primarily of Liberians who are working to create hope and opportunity for the people of the Harbel community," the company said in a statement.

The lawsuit claims workers get up at 4:30 a.m., then work 12 to 14 hours while using primitive tools to tap the rubber trees and collect raw latex.

The suit also claims that Bridgestone Firestone imposes impossible quotas on the laborers and cuts their pay by half if the daily quotas are not met. In order to meet their quotas, laborers routinely have their minor children join them, the lawsuit claims.

Laborers are paid a daily wage of $3.19 before deductions and must tap at least 1,125 trees per day.

The court action was organized by the Washington, D.C.-based International Labor Rights Fund, which also helped organize a lawsuit in the 1990s against Unocal Corp. alleging human rights violations during the construction of a pipeline in Southeast Asia.

The lawsuit claims the plaintiffs, identified only as John, James and Jane Roe, could not bring similar court actions in Liberia because of fear of retribution and corrupt court system.

The lawsuit requests a jury trial and unspecified damages.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 PM

Well, - if you're going that way...don't buy Bridgestone either!

Bad business all around.