Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Ice Build-up inside front of Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 PM

Ice Buildup

I've been thinking about the ice buildup I mentioned earlier inside of the doors. I suspect this is part of the retro design of our HHRs. Think it applies to the sand-blasting effect on the rear fenders as well.

I'm thinking Fords here for a moment. Do you remember when Ford introduced the '49 Ford. It was known as a "Shoebox Ford" as it featured the newly styled fenders that didn't stick out - sleek looking. On the other hand, the '48 had the same style as the '48-'49 Chevys and by sticking out they attracted the above problems.

So the problems we face are a natural reverse progression that occurs with a retro vehicle. So, we can complain, or we can buy a sleek, boring something else. Guess we just live with it - and enjoy our unique looking rides.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on you folks, I read some of your post about windows freezing,doors freezing, ice build up,snow build up and freezing ect. on your HHR and I just have to think is this the 1st car that you have had in the winter.

I lived in MA. for 30yrs. and have had all of that & more when I lived there. I know you will say the my blank car never did or nothing like this with my other car/truck,van to that I say YEA RIGHT.

What about a day and the temp gets up to say 40F and it's a nice day sun bright no snow on the ground. But as the sun sets the temp drops to 15-20 before midnite. At 6:00am you go out start your car sit there a min.or two put it in drive and as you start to move you hear this noise as if someone is tearing off your front fender. you stop get out and see the ground where you parked the afternoon before was a little mud is now a froozen block froze to your tire and as you started to drive off came around and took out your left front fender and inner fender to the tune of over $800 in 1974 money.

I just can't say That it is something with a HHR or any other car

Thanks; Hope you all take this as just a rant from a old fat guy. I still like to read all your tales so keep it up
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I've have more cars and motorcycles then I've had underwear and this is the first car I have owned that ice builds up behind a door. I have also lived in the midwest all my life. I love snow and a car that is sliding around is the most fun one can have in four wheels, even better when ice racing.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Dob 12/06/49= 58
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 AM

Im confused on the Ice behind the door, here in Texas we put our ice in the cooler over top the beer!