Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Increase exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM

Increase exhaust sound

Hey, i was wondering what the best way to increase the sound of my hhr ss. i would like it to be alittle louder. i definitely dont want the teenage honda type noise. just something a little beefier. do i need to replace the whole system? can i just do a new muffler? and advice on products would be appreciated.

-mmullican
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM

gutting the second cat is what most will suggest doing, adds a bit of sound without being obnoxious
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM

Is that pretty easy to do?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM

I would remove the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe, and keep the stock muffler....I just did this mod today and I like it...A little deeper sound, a little extra rumble, not ricey at all...and it cost $6 if you can weld
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM

yeah i just read your post about that bowtie. unfortunately i dont know how to weld but im sure i have some buddies who do. can you explain it to me in (im not mechanically inclined) terms? lol i can only do real basic stuff, and i dont really know the names to everything but if i can explain to one of my buddies he will know exactly what you are talking about.

thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mmullican83
yeah i just read your post about that bowtie. unfortunately i dont know how to weld but im sure i have some buddies who do. can you explain it to me in (im not mechanically inclined) terms? lol i can only do real basic stuff, and i dont really know the names to everything but if i can explain to one of my buddies he will know exactly what you are talking about.

thanks
The resonator is just after the 2nd cat, about the middle of the car...It if you follow the exhaust from the engine, underneath the car you will first see a set of catalytic converters, after that there is 3 bolts(right where the guys hand is in pic below) that hold basically the front and back section of the exhaust together.

right after the bolts is the resonator. it is round and a bit wider... I cut the part off of the front of the resonator and welded it to the new straight pipe, so it would bolt right up, like its stock. the straight pipe I bought is flared at the ends, so it will fit around the exhaust pipe for an easy weld on the other side....I hope this helps..

.................................................. ^.................................
the resonator is where the chrome piece is in this picture...this guy probably chopped his off too
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM

so you cut the resonator completely off?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by mmullican83
so you cut the resonator completely off?
yes completely gone. scrap metal in my case
Old 09-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Hello,
First time but not the last I am sure.

I'm a little late to the HHR party.
But I recently purchased a 2008 Chevy HHR LS and was looking to beef up the exhaust as well.
My vehicle has a 2.2L so would customizing the exhaust as described here also work for me since my vehicle isn't a SS?
And what would customizing the exhaust do to the onboard computer (check engine light) as well as exhaust inspection?

I'm also looking for wheel recommendations as well.
I thought maybe the old style Craiger with some nice 60s tires.

Thoughts?

Thank you
JW
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Welcome! it can be to to an ls or lt....not sure on how it sounds though

Quick Reply: Increase exhaust sound