Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Install of New Chrome Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Question Install of New Chrome Door Handles

Anybody know how to install these:

Available, but instructions could be a serious issue. I was not comfortable installing my new pioneer h/u, but was able to get all the parts successfully.

Found an old thread from '06 asking about similar issue with 131 views and no replies.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 PM

TkHHR went from satin to bright chrome. He would be the best to get info from.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 AM

I changed mine to black chrome and it was much easier than it looks. you look at the latch end door you will see a rubber hole filler or a metallic self stick round sticker at about the level of the handle remove these and save to rpace after you change the handle. The handle is held in place with either a torx screw or on older HHRs a small hex head bolt. Reach thru the hole at a diagonal and unscrew the fastener while you apply a slight pull on the handle. You will feel when the fastener disengages from the handle. the fastener is captive if you stop unscrewing. Push the handle towrds the front of the car and it releases from the and comes out. The lock bezel now comes out. It is easier than it sounds. Just reverse the process and your done. The first hadle took about 15 minutes and the last took less than 5. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Just like oldscout said, it is pretty easy and the best part is the door panels don't need to come out. The driver side has the sticker over the access hole. Mine was red. The passenger side had the plastic plug in the hole. Shine a light in the hole to see what you are dealing with. I used a magnetic torx scewdriver to be sure I didn't drop the screw.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM

What to do with your old ones?

If you decide to replace your handles with chrome ones, I may be interested in buying your old ones (if the price is right). I would like to paint them to match the orange of my HHR and install them. I am looking at doing the same for the rear applique also, so looking for cheap used ones.