Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Jacked Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Many years ago a friend of mine and I grafted a SAAB station wagon body (had a blown 2 stroke engine) onto a Jeep station wagon frame (body shot, flathead still going strong) - friends (some of them engineers like ourselves) said "impossible" - but the wheelbase and track were pretty darned close. It did come with a "body lift" (from just bolting the "unit-body construction SAAB onto the full frame of the Jeep) and we did have to make modifications (like places for the shifters to poke through the floor, setting back the firewall to clear the bell housing) - but it worked - it ran - it had a plow on it for a few winters - it passed state inspection (friendly gas station, likely) but it worked. While I agree that making an HHR an off-road vehicle without similar modifications just isn't going to cut the mustard - it's not impossible - you either need to throw the idea and a large bag of money at an experienced fabricator OR figure it out on your own and expand your skill set - face it - it's not turning a Yugo into a space shuttle ....
Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

this idea would work fine on and old s10 frame or and older yoda 84 and down..lots of parts available and at worst cut a few inches off the frame in the back to mount it up..been done a thousand times with different bodies..
Old 08-07-2021, 04:10 AM

thanks guys you answered my question in the first few replies

I just tuned into this site because I have an HHR that I'm trying to sell and thought maybe it would sell faster and for more money if I was to jack it up & put some bigger tires on it. If you Google it you can find some pretty cool looking jacked up monster HHRs and PT Cruisers, so at first I thought well it can be done now let's find out how. After reading the first few replies on the strip I was able to come to the conclusion that, yes anything can be done with the right amount of money and vehicle alteration, but there's no simple easy low-cost way to jack my HHR up, so I just need to sell it cheap.... If I can just figure out where to purchase the two rear door-side seat belts I need to replace the torn ones I took out, and if I can just get the one bolt out on the passenger side that does not want to freaking come out even after shattering a socket, then cutting the head of the bolt to hook a large wrench and extender bar to. I may have to cut it out and do a little welding, LOL.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:42 PM

Did a GM parts department cross your mind? Or, a junkyard.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:19 PM

It seems that a few inches is readily achievable with 09 Malibu struts and PT Cruiser springs in back. I'm going to try to cross-reference Hi Jackers for the back since none are listed
Old 04-18-2022, 04:48 PM

This is a 9+ year-old-thread but there is a more recent one on this subject with better info information. I’m not motivated to find it but I did comment on it.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by j.allen1985
Ok, here it goes and please don't laugh, well ok go ahead and get it out now so you can continue reading this!

I have called a few places here in OK and no one has had any advice what so ever to my questions. All I've found is people laughing and saying that it will never happen. I have looked and looked on google and multiple sites but I can't find anyone that has ever done it. I'm hoping that its possible and that no one has done it yet. Here it is, I want to lift my HHR between 3-8", put, well I would show u a pick but I don't know how to add it, but put bigger rims and some mud/street tires on it, with a tow hitch and a few engine mods so it will have enough power to pull a 2 maybe 3 horse trailer. All while still being able to haul my 3 kids, my wife, my Chocolate Lab and all my tack. So my questions are: is it possible and if so, how would I go about doing it. Where would I need to start and how much am I looking at spending on it?
You will need to find the Cummins Diesel dually model.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Clint
I just tuned into this site because I have an HHR that I'm trying to sell and thought maybe it would sell faster and for more money if I was to jack it up & put some bigger tires on it. If you Google it you can find some pretty cool looking jacked up monster HHRs and PT Cruisers, so at first I thought well it can be done now let's find out how. After reading the first few replies on the strip I was able to come to the conclusion that, yes anything can be done with the right amount of money and vehicle alteration, but there's no simple easy low-cost way to jack my HHR up, so I just need to sell it cheap.... If I can just figure out where to purchase the two rear door-side seat belts I need to replace the torn ones I took out, and if I can just get the one bolt out on the passenger side that does not want to freaking come out even after shattering a socket, then cutting the head of the bolt to hook a large wrench and extender bar to. I may have to cut it out and do a little welding, LOL.
I'm pretty sure those were all HHR bodies mounted to the frame and drivetrain of another vehicle.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hvymax
You will need to find the Cummins Diesel dually model.
You're quoting a guy that hasn't been on this forum in 10 years.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Like this in here

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturer...r-panel/page/1

And some others

Quick Reply: Jacked Up