Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Lambo Doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:52 PM

Exclamation Lambo Doors

FYI if anyone is interested, i called the shop that won the GM award at SEMA and asked what they would charge to install the lambo doors on my HHR and their estimate was $4200. It'd be nice....but I don't really have $4200 to blow on neat doors.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Holy s**t! That is the installation included price right? Even if they install them that is way too much. Did they offer a kit to you or tell you if altering the fenders would be necessary?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 AM

Yeah 4200 is a huge cost to incur.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Holy s**t! That is the installation included price right? Even if they install them that is way too much. Did they offer a kit to you or tell you if altering the fenders would be necessary?
That is all in the installation, from looking at it, they are stock doors, just need to re-deisgin hinges and how the doors work. I don't believe the doors are different or fenders and such.

Need hinges that push door out some and then swing up, easier said then done, plus long range working of those doors, would be suspect. Weight of doors, may change things over time. Looks cool, but I bet not very usable or feasable over-time, plus 20-25% the cost of the complete vehicle.

Go to a good street rod, customizing shop, and get it chop instead!!!

BTW, Did Godfathers have anything else for HHR yet? I been meaning to call them I really like their lower grill on that vehicle, just afraid it will be to high, if they are not mass producing, them.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM

You really don't want to do Lambo doors on an HHR......trust me!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Banned

Yeah, I agree. Not only are they wrong for it but it makes it harder to get in.
Also its not changing the fenders its altering the shape of them so that the doors open properly without getting hung up on the fender. You have to do it on most cars in order to get lambo doors to work.

Last edited by captain howdy; 12-20-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 AM

I totally agree, that they are not functional, looking at that one, you would have to a small and limber person to slip in through those doors. I bet they don't really get used that often, more for show only.

I look at the HHR as a older stlye vehicle (cosmectically), with Hot Rodding potentials. But, that is thing, Hot rodding is customizing, meaning make it your own, so some may like the the Lambo Doors. Anything can be done, just takes either you skill or money or both. Many customized things, actually make the car less functional, but if owner likes the look, they deal with it!!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Markiemark
just need to re-deisgin hinges
Lambo hinges are comletely different hinges. You can't alter the factory ones to work in that manner.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM

The big problem is the metal the doors (and body), are made from. It is comprised of four layers of very thin metal, sandwiched together. This makes plasma cutting and welding extremely difficult. I spoke at length with Erich at Darkside while we were doing my drop about it. He said you couldn't pay him to do it again (they only did suicide doors, too!). He said GodFather's Lambo doors probably took a crazy amount of time to complete. (It must be pretty bad if a custom guy say's he won't do it again!) The doors must be hinged to overlap the fender bulges - which calls for some special hinge angles to get them to "bump out" - tricky!

So...there's the scoop.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:35 PM

If your HHR is your daily driver then its not worth it. But if its going to be your show car then its practial.

Quick Reply: Lambo Doors