Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

LED Front Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 AM

LED Front Turn Signals

I was thinking about maybe buying some LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs for my front turn signals. I eventually want to get IPCW tail lights as well and do LEDs all the way around. Would a load resistor type of setup be necessary in the front to avoid the fast blinking?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM

Yes a resistor is required when doing the front turns. The rear IPCW tail lights have a built in resistor so those don't affect it. Just a bulb swap in the front does.

This larger version for turns (tail light load RL-650)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...23loadresistor

And a tip on the install of the resistor. They come with a pre-cut on the insulation. If using the splice ins, cut that completely off, before sliding it into the splice connector. Otherwise the wire gets loose and looses contact, therefor the resistor won't work.

As far as the LED themselves...

I tried these first, the 25LED
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...6_57_specs.htm

But they didn't light up worth a darn. So went with these 18 LED towers instead
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...315x-x18-T.htm

They work great!

stock headlight housing

DEPO headlight housing
Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 AM

I have these and it's a normal flash rate. Load resister not needed.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...8-T.htm#photos
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Well that could be. I installed my resistor when I had the first try installed. They needed it, I just figured the tower would as well. Never tried to remove when I did that final swap.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 AM

I initiall did a forward 25 LED similiar to you, didn't need the resister with them either, but the light ouput was too narrow. They were cheap ebay ones. All the rest of my LEDs came from superbrights and just went with them again.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 AM

I bought all mine including the 25's (same conclusion on their output aka sucked) and they instantly needed the resistor. All of my LEDs have always been superbrightleds.com. Do you have the IPCW tails as well?

I would say with this insight... just order the 18 led tower unit and install it. If they flash fast, then order the resistors. If not, at least you didn't waste any money. (yes you could return them as well, but still money wasted).
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Yes, I have the IPCW tails. For the markers I'm using the 4 led 194's and single 194 led for the tag lights. Only ones I have changed is the 3rd brake light. So far I haven't found any the fill the cavity and not hot spot.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM

Yeah I went with the sticker over the glass on the 3rd and forget the LEDs. Plus it helped with naming the HHR
Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks for your help guys! I think I'm gonna try the 18 LED tower-style bulbs and see if they work without the load resistor. I was looking around town at different auto parts stores to see if anyone carried load resistors. I had originally bought LED bulbs at AutoZone in Green Bay, but I forgot to buy the load resistors with them. Then, I moved to Superior and there are no AutoZones around here. I went to O'reilly, Carquest, Napa, and Advance Auto Parts. None of them had any LED bulbs or resistors at all, and at some of the places, didn't even know what load resistors were. I tried explaining it a little bit, but they said they didn't know what I meant. I guess AutoZone is the only place that carries LED stuff. I'm planning on getting IPCWs sooner or later. I like them a lot, but they cost a lot of $$$$. So I decided I'd be happy with LED bulbs for the meantime.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM

By the way, this is off topic, but does anyone know what type of bulb the third brake light uses?

Quick Reply: LED Front Turn Signals