Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Locking Gas Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DEC2955
I know that you can order a replacement 'chrome' door [maybe it is just a cover for the current door, did not think it would look good on my red HHR so did not look too hard] but if a color matching door replacement with lock could be ordered.....
It's not a chrome replacement door, it's a stainless steel cover. It's just a piece of stanless steel bent to the right shape of the outside of your gas door with some adhesive on the back.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Question is: How long is the locks barrel and would it hit the gas cap.
They aren't all that long...I went out and looked and just eyeballing it, I don't think it would hit the cap. I'll see if I can get some specs on exact size and post them back here.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:54 PM

I find that I must ask this question as I woke this morning to find the gas door open on my new HHR... and about 1/4 tank of gas missing..

So does anybody know of a source of a locking gas cap that will work with the pressurized fuel system of the HHR?
As I mentioned a while back GM had a locking gas cap for the Chevy S-10/ GMC Sonoma Pickups ('95 to'02s). I had one on my '99 Sonoma that I bought at the local Chevy Dealer's Parts Dept. 3 or 4 years ago. When I traded for the HHR they swapped the gas caps. It's a perfect fit although it's probably a bit pricey. I don't remember what it cost anymore, but probably less than a 1/4 tank of gas does!!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:54 PM

OK...here ya go. THIS page has a bunch on there and they have measurements too...just click on image to make it larger.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
As I mentioned a while back GM had a locking gas cap for the Chevy S-10/ GMC Sonoma Pickups ('95 to'02s). I had one on my '99 Sonoma that I bought at the local Chevy Dealer's Parts Dept. 3 or 4 years ago. When I traded for the HHR they swapped the gas caps. It's a perfect fit although it's probably a bit pricey. I don't remember what it cost anymore, but probably less than a 1/4 tank of gas does!!
After reading your original post on this, I went to the dealer and tried what they said, at least, was the one for the S-10/Sonoma, still too big to allow the door to close. I wonder if there is some variance in how tall the filler neck is maybe between an HHR with the 2.2 vs 2.4 or maybe there is just vaiance anyway from one unit to the next. A guy on ebay sells Stants and claims he has sold several to HHR owners and that none were returned for the issue of door not closing and he seemed to think there was a way to adjust the height of the filler neck...I could not see a way.

Anyway I continue my quest.....
Old 07-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
OK...here ya go. THIS page has a bunch on there and they have measurements too...just click on image to make it larger.
Would these hold up well to weather I wonder? Where I live, during the winter we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles and locks freeze up all the time and I see these being a problem if they froze and one needed to fuel up! Now for HHR owners in places where the temp doesn't freeze and no snow falls, this might be an option.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
Would these hold up well to weather I wonder? Where I live, during the winter we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles and locks freeze up all the time and I see these being a problem if they froze and one needed to fuel up! Now for HHR owners in places where the temp doesn't freeze and no snow falls, this might be an option.
I couldn't say for sure...but these are like the locks that apartment buildings use for community mailboxes. Our mailboxes were indoors, so I can't vouch for whether or not they freeze up in the winter. You might look in your area for a place that has outdoor community mailboxes and ask them how they hold up in the winter. You might even be lucky enough to be able to get one from them real cheap too...or maybe even free since they are not a high price item.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:00 PM

After reading your original post on this, I went to the dealer and tried what they said, at least, was the one for the S-10/Sonoma, still too big to allow the door to close. I wonder if there is some variance in how tall the filler neck is maybe between an HHR with the 2.2 vs 2.4 or maybe there is just vaiance anyway from one unit to the next. A guy on ebay sells Stants and claims he has sold several to HHR owners and that none were returned for the issue of door not closing and he seemed to think there was a way to adjust the height of the filler neck...I could not see a way.

Anyway I continue my quest.....
I just had a brainstorm and thought I'd look out in my storeroom to see if I had saved the box the locking cap came in. Sure enough it was there with the original cap in it. It's an ACDelco box, the part # is 22660005, and it was made in Canada. This is also the top # shown on the Bar Code sticker. We've got an LS, but I can't see there being any difference in the gas tanks.
There are other #s on the box too (Don't know what they mean!)
7503141, GT232, and GR.3.028
Old 07-16-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
It's an ACDelco box, the part # is 22660005, and it was made in Canada. This is also the top # shown on the Bar Code sticker. We've got an LS, but I can't see there being any difference in the gas tanks.
There are other #s on the box too (Don't know what they mean!)
7503141, GT232, and GR.3.028
I just searched for that part on one of the GM part sites and it came up only as "cap" and has a new number 22720375. I am firing off an email to see if it is a locking cap.....

EDIT>>just searched new part number and it is locking..."Fuel system Fuel system components Cap Locking"
Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 PM

I just searched for that part on one of the GM part sites and it came up only as "cap" and has a new number 22720375. I am firing off an email to see if it is a locking cap.....

EDIT>>just searched new part number and it is locking..."Fuel system Fuel system components Cap Locking"
All I can say is that if they only changed the Part#, and didn't make any change to the cap itself, it should fit just fine. We've never had a problem with the gas door closing. My Wife uses the HHR and I've never heard her complain about trouble with the cap, or the door. She loves to complain, so I'm sure it's A-OK, and we've had it on there since last August.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap?