Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

NEED HELP I want to move my rear plate to bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Exclamation NEED HELP I want to move my rear plate to bumper

HELP!!

I am having a wolf mural air brushed onto my gate, and need to move my license plate to the bumper. I have the chrome trim installed already there. I would like to have matching plate frames for both front and back but the plate frame on front is already attached. The fasteners they used are weird. Does anyone know how to remove that plate frame?
Old 05-13-2007, 05:58 PM

The fasteners used to attach the front plate are rivets. My front plate frame wasn't put on the car when I bought it...so when I went in for my first oil change at 1000 miles...I had them put it on before my happy tag ran out and I had to purchase my plates, as we are required to run a front plate here in Colorado.

I would venture to guess that you may have to break off the stock frame and then carefully drill out the rivets on the front bumper. I would venture to guess that when you take it to the body shop to have the mural done, that they would be able to remove it for you.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you think the front plate frame might also fit on the rear? I just want the two to match.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by donbb82
Thanks for the info. Do you think the front plate frame might also fit on the rear? I just want the two to match.
Doubt it since it is designed for the front bumper which is not shaped like the rear.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Guess I need to find one that will look sorta like the front or else I will maybe remove the front and get 2 matching.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by donbb82
Guess I need to find one that will look sorta like the front or else I will maybe remove the front and get 2 matching.
I think that is going to be your best bet. I would venture to guess that the front one may sustain damage trying to remove it too. And as nfboy says...I don't think the front one will fit on the back bumper either.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 PM

How are you gonna illuminate the plate after you move it?
Is there a veh. code that governs the height and/or location of the rear plate in your state ?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Black Beauty, that is the question of the day! Never thought of that. HMMMM that needs some thought !
We do have to have it illuminated. No laws on location that I know of.
I don't want it to look cheesy, my body shop suggested an aftermarket bumper that has a recess for the plate, but have not heard of that yet, that sounds like a lot of work.

Any suggestions?? Anyone??
Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 PM

To light up the tag, you can get a frame with built in tag lights

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....4&q=tag+lights

or tag light bolts.

As far as height, I believe it just has to be visible. Bumper and lights have a max/min requirements, but never heard that of tags.

If you know of a good body shop that does modling, they might could french a plate box into the bumper cover.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks solman98! Sounds like a plan with the lighted frame, I called my body shop and they can mount on bumper and wire to look nice. Thanks again for everyones suggestions! Will post pics when done.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP I want to move my rear plate to bumper