Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

New Seat Covers & Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Another thing is these "leather" seats are vinyl coated so clean up is really easy. I have to scrub my wifes 2002 Spyder tan leather seats with a brush but they always come clean because they are vinyl coated as well. Old leather absorbed liquids. These don't therefore leather conditioner is a waste of money since it's not getting to the leather itself.

To see if your leather is vinyl coated take a rag and some cleaner. Rub hard between the seat back and seat. If the rag picks up the dye its not coated. If not it is and thats a good thing!!

My brother just uses a towel to sit on.

Are you sure about this Kingfrog????? If they are vinyl coated why do they stain?? I thought I once heard/read the absorbtion in old leather was allowed because of the lack of current day chemicals used in the dyeing/tanning/treating process.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM

I got some more gold bowtie stuff for Smoke for his birthday which is today (well it's his born-on date)

At Walmart, I got this CD Visor for $5.92

Name:  weekend071110006.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  78.1 KB

And then I got these on eBay for $45 and change for a set of 4...and that includes shipping.

Name:  GM17801080.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  14.9 KB
Old 11-11-2007, 03:44 PM

TE HHR RY is your basic Amethyst LS, and I can'y justify spending the $125 for 'custom fit' seat covers on Ebay. I'm satisfied with the $4.00 purple towels I got from K-mart. I cut holes for the head rests, and one is starting to rip apart there. Guess I'll have to spend another $4 soon.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Are you sure about this Kingfrog????? If they are vinyl coated why do they stain?? I thought I once heard/read the absorbtion in old leather was allowed because of the lack of current day chemicals used in the dyeing/tanning/treating process.
Yes I am sure. I have spilled a coke on my seats and they did not stain. I asked my brother who details cars about this. He told me how to test the leather and what to use depending on the results. He told me most of todays "leather interiors" are vinyl coated. Thats so they won't crack like old car leather. I am going to do a ketchup test to be sure.

In any case if I were to cover my leather seats it would have to be with a leather cover otherwise why get leather? The very reason I always get leather is so I don't have to worry about them staining with a spill.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Kingfrog...I have cloth seats in my HHR...which I bought right off the lot. I've never been big on leather seats, as here in Colorado they are really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter, so all my cars have always had cloth seats. I was lucky, as it had everything I wanted except running boards and I got them about a month or so later though. Thanks for the great tips on the leather seats though...I'm sure it will come in handy for those who do have leather.

The seat covers could fit a little better, but for the price, I can't complain. Best $30 I've spent in a while and definitely a far cry better than cleaning the seats all the time...even rain stains these cloth seats like nothing I've ever seen before.
OK I get it now. Yeah I would cover cloth seats in a NY second if I wanted to keep them clean. I eat and drink too much in the car and have dogs I like to take on rides. Thats why I have leather furniture and in both cars. EASY to keep clean.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM

$19.99 Covers from Advance Auto

I couldn't say no to these for the price.

Name:  interior3.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  34.6 KB
Name:  interior2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  38.6 KB