Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Painting calipers with G2 caliper paint kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Painting calipers with G2 caliper paint kit

I'm planning on doing my calipers this week-end using the G2 caliper paint kit I picked up anyone here used it? Says you brush on and will not leave brush marks I just want to make sure I get nice a smooth finish. Got any tips/tricks on applying? I'm going to take the calipers off the rotors and remove the pads.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Founding Member

I can't help with your questions, but take some pictures.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:14 PM

I have done the caliper painting on my last 4 cars. No need to take calipers off or the pads. The brush they include is cheap and prone to sheding. I use a couple of model paint brushes, 4 brushes in all. No streaks as it levels out and dries. The big thing is to clean, clean, clean any area you want to paint. Second thing is the fumes, be in a well ventilated area.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:02 PM

I can't help with your questions, but take some pictures.
Will do

Originally Posted by JediAce
I have done the caliper painting on my last 4 cars. No need to take calipers off or the pads. The brush they include is cheap and prone to sheding. I use a couple of model paint brushes, 4 brushes in all. No streaks as it levels out and dries. The big thing is to clean, clean, clean any area you want to paint. Second thing is the fumes, be in a well ventilated area.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips I'll pick up some new brushes So other than the crappy brushes pretty easy to apply?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM

It's very easy to apply... Check out this post I created last year when I did it. Lots of pics.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/my-1st-mod-painted-calipers-rotors-15518/

I chose to remove the parts as I wanted to do the rotor as well. Use a 1" foam brush for the larger areas and put on two coats of the paint. Follow instructions on cleaning and applying the paint and they'll turn out fine!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM

i did 3 coats on mine and would have done more but i started late in the day and had other plans.

i would even recommend after you mix the two parts together, wait longer then the 5 min, and it will start to thicken a little bit. My first coat was pretty thin...

I took the calipers all apart but did not remove them from the brake lines. I didn't want to bleed the brakes.

It will all flow together nicely, especially as it thickens.

Plan on not having your car for at least a day, i waited 2 and a half. After a day i could still press my thumbnail into the paint and leave a small mark.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor

is it urathane base??if it is..chuck some hardner in it(capfull or two should do depending on how much your mixing up..dry hard as rock in 10 min..pretty cheap stuff..local autobody supply..POR 15 works just as good or better..goes on really thick..smoothes out nice..stinks too()wear a mask maybe or out in the driveway..dries fast and hard..shines very nice..brake cleaner works good as aprep..cheap way out..good luck..post pics..im doin mine ill post too..hopefully this week..
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by pyro panel
is it urathane base??if it is..chuck some hardner in it(capfull or two should do depending on how much your mixing up..dry hard as rock in 10 min..pretty cheap stuff..local autobody supply..POR 15 works just as good or better..goes on really thick..smoothes out nice..stinks too()wear a mask maybe or out in the driveway..dries fast and hard..shines very nice..brake cleaner works good as aprep..cheap way out..good luck..post pics..im doin mine ill post too..hopefully this week..
the G2 kit is already a 2 part paint and you mix a chemical into it to start the hardening process. I wouldn't recommend adding anymore. Plus you wouldn't have that much time to actually paint. The kit also comes with a can of brake cleaner for prep.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info guys. CarlsSS thanks for the link nice pics looks like it turned out great
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jas89tta
Thanks for the info guys. CarlsSS thanks for the link nice pics looks like it turned out great
Sure, no problem! Thanks, I had fun doing it and have recieved a lot of positive comments since. Especially after I added the Chevy decals and annodized lug nuts. It really makes it look finished in my opinion. What color are you painting yours?

Quick Reply: Painting calipers with G2 caliper paint kit