Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Pinstripe

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Pinstripe

All, I have a 08 That i just purchased at the end of June. It came with a "Dealer Installed" Pinstripe. Now i don't love it nor do i hate it. How Hard would it be to remove if i so choose?

Also Car was built in the middle of January. It i have know idea when the dealer recieved the Car and when they put on the pinstripe. I'm not sure if the paint faded cause im sure they had no wax on it when they did it.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM

i have the same thing on mine.you can use a hair dyer to remove them if its a sticker type pinstripe
Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 AM

and most body shops could do it for next to nothing or you can buy the same rubber wheel they use to remove it I think 3M makes one it just attaches to a power drill and they are safe on all paint surffaces if done right (just dont leave it in one spot to long) I did it a few times in collage in an auto body course i was goofin around in it only takes a few minutes to remove them
Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Uma

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
All, I have a 08 That i just purchased at the end of June. It came with a "Dealer Installed" Pinstripe. Now i don't love it nor do i hate it. How Hard would it be to remove if i so choose?

Also Car was built in the middle of January. It i have know idea when the dealer recieved the Car and when they put on the pinstripe. I'm not sure if the paint faded cause im sure they had no wax on it when they did it.
I really don't know alot about this...however, you may have a "spring edition" in that case you may want to keep the stickers. It kind of defines the car. But, since you have no pics I cannot tell. However, they do come off easily if they are tape. You may get an influx of messages on this issue in the next few days. Hold off for a few. Todd (Uma)
Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Uma
I really don't know alot about this...however, you may have a "spring edition" in that case you may want to keep the stickers. It kind of defines the car. But, since you have no pics I cannot tell. However, they do come off easily if they are tape. You may get an influx of messages on this issue in the next few days. Hold off for a few. Todd (Uma)
I don't think it's a Spring Edition, since that was an '06 only package. This year's special edition was the Shadow Edition, which had no striping.

That being said ... if it's striping which says "HHR" anywhere in it, then it's a GM stripe kit, which I would be inclined to keep if it were mine. If it's not your taste (or you want to do stripes to match you a bit more), then the rubber wheels are the way to go, because they're less caustic than the chemical stripe removers that 3M also makes, and require a bit less cleanup.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM

The Pinstripe doesn't say HHR on it anywhere. Im 50/50 on it the hole Pinstripe actually.. I don't love it nor hate it right now.

I don't know if i would use the Rubber wheel or not, I'd be afraid i would destroy the paint which would be my luck.

Im also not sure if its the sticker type or of a Vinyl type.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 AM

If you run your finger across it and it's raised up quite a bit then it's vinyl. I'm the production manager for a sign shop and you don't need to get the wheel. Just get your wife's hair dryer and run it up and down the car a couple of times, lift up one end of the stripe and gently lift it off, running the hair dryer along as you lift it off. Your life is much easier if it comes off in one piece! If there is any glue wipe it off with Glue Gone or rubbing alcohol.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:41 PM

It Vinyl then.. One thing i noticed today where they Cut the Vinyl around the door's etc. It left little Scratches where they probably used a razor blade.

So now i don't know if i remove it if i can get them out or how noticable it would be.

Plus i think im going for a Red/Black theme which the Pinstripe is Black so it works.

Just not sure what to do yet...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:20 AM

take it back and show em the scraches... they will make whoever installed i pay to fix it!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by minttbird
take it back and show em the scraches... they will make whoever installed i pay to fix it!
Im thinking about it, Chance's are they will tell me to stick it.. Seems to be a Gift with Chicagoland. Can always count on Half ass work and they want full amount $$ for it..

Quick Reply: Pinstripe