Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

question about tinting

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 AM

question about tinting

I have decided to tint my two front side windows. the only place in town that does tinting wants $70. Seems a little high to me, but I've never had this done before. The place has an excellent reputation, and offers a lifetime warranty on thier work. Does this seem like a fair price? Also the HHR has 70% factory tint, so will adding 50% get it to 20% or does it not work that way? I am torn between the "legal" 35% and the more desirable 20%. I guess pro shops can tint to any shade? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:21 AM

Thats about what I paid for my 2 front windows. Same deal lifetime on it all.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:27 AM

To bad your not in our area. We would do it for $55 and also have a lifetime warranty. If they have a good reputation, and lifetime warranty i say go for it. I would have them do it in atleast 30%, if not 20%(what i have). They should be able to do any shade, but you may have to pay in cash. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:03 AM

mizzouHHR, I live about 45 miles west of Kansas City, Mo... and I haven't had mine done yet, but got prices from two places. The first place said $70 for the two front doors and also across the top of the windshield. The other place advised me not to tint across the top of the windshield, saying it wouldn't come out very well because of the HHR's windshield (I dont know if that is BS or not) and said $50 for the two front doors. Both offered a lifetime warranty. Both were for 35%. Based on that your place does sound a tad high, but may be that way cause they're the only game in town, but its in the ballpark. If they have a good rep and will do whatevet tint you want it would probably be compatibable with driving to where you can get it cheaper. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I have decided to tint my two front side windows. the only place in town that does tinting wants $70. Seems a little high to me, but I've never had this done before. The place has an excellent reputation, and offers a lifetime warranty on thier work. Does this seem like a fair price? Also the HHR has 70% factory tint, so will adding 50% get it to 20% or does it not work that way? I am torn between the "legal" 35% and the more desirable 20%. I guess pro shops can tint to any shade? Thanks in advance.
$70 bucks is a decent price.

I did 20% on both of ours though. I just think it looks better. Haven't had any problems, looks great.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by riverwind
The other place advised me not to tint across the top of the windshield, saying it wouldn't come out very well because of the HHR's windshield (I dont know if that is BS or not) and said $50 for the two front doors.
That is BS. I did my front strip and it came out just fine. You can see a picture at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2457576. I can take a better picture of it today if you want a better idea of how it will look(or should look).
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM

I got both mine done to 35% for $50. Of course I know the manager at the shop that did it. $70 is not that far out of line.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by memory-x
That is BS. I did my front strip and it came out just fine. You can see a picture at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2457576. I can take a better picture of it today if you want a better idea of how it will look(or should look).
Maybe they just don't have your talent!

I've been told the same thing though. Because of all of them damn bumps it makes it difficult to get the tint to adhere well without a bunch of pockets. I'm sure most shops just don't want the hassle.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 AM

I paid $60 to have mine done and they selected one that was really close to factory tint. Did a great job and also gave me a lifetime warranty as well.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Deb, did you get the front windshield done, and if so how did it turn out?

Quick Reply: question about tinting