Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Rim Opinions...please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by fozbear52
I posted this for someone else but its a good low budget option for the anyone with the 16" steelies...http://www.hubcapmike.com/bhc01-16.html i have a black ls also and think they look sharp

i just talked to hub Cap mike today and those caps are the only ones to fit the HHR due to balance issues of the other caps on his site.

I wish I could use some of the other ones on his site.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Uma

Originally Posted by 08hhrls
yah i just wanted something to replace the stock hubcaps and like the look of the factory rims and that seems to be a really good price for a full set of them.
Hey boss, since $$ is a concern, you may try painting the caps. I did it for a very close friend of mine, and they turned out pretty good. Depends on the look you want. Todd (Uma)
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170230892173 i got these for 210 shipped...but my question is...what issues am i going to have with the tpms if any? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by HHRatRod
i just talked to hub Cap mike today and those caps are the only ones to fit the HHR due to balance issues of the other caps on his site.

I wish I could use some of the other ones on his site.
So do those just pop in over the existing rims, or do you have to have certain wheels to do it? I'm a little lost on the moons but love the look.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 AM

tirerack.com has a ton of wheels and a program to let you see them on your car, in the color of your car.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Joelm
So do those just pop in over the existing rims, or do you have to have certain wheels to do it? I'm a little lost on the moons but love the look.
The ones linked above are snap on hub caps. If you have hub caps now, you just take them off and snap these on.

The real Moon Eyes, like I originally installed, have to use screws to hold them on. Although the company offers a snap on disc, their experience has found that the stock HHR wheel is too narrow for the clips to hold it on. The problem I had with my screw-on discs is that they kept cracking. After two sets cracked, I decided to go another direction.

I'm glad that another company has apparently come up with a disc that will clip on and stay on. It is a good look for the HHR. Just be careful on those bumpy roads so you don't lose one. GM made those new hub caps that are held on at the lugs for a reason.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
I'm glad that another company has apparently come up with a disc that will clip on and stay on. It is a good look for the HHR. Just be careful on those bumpy roads so you don't lose one. GM made those new hub caps that are held on at the lugs for a reason.
Songman do you have a listing for that other company doing the racing discs?
Wouldnt mind have a set of those too.

"So do those just pop in over the existing rims, or do you have to have certain wheels to do it? I'm a little lost on the moons but love the look."

The smoothie caps from hubcapmike pop right on the the stock 16" steel rims that come with the plastic hubcaps...i clear coated mine due to the fact that another hhr owner had some issues with his in the snow.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM

No, I don't know of any more discs like the Moon Eyes being made by anyone. The company I was referring to was the one you linked to just give a similar look.

Here is the thread where I went through buying them and eventually installing them. You can tell I was totally sold on them at the time. Did quite a few different Photoshops to check out the look too.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/moon-eyes-project-hhr-3143/

The Moon Eyes do fit on the stock 16" steel wheels. Just take the plastic hubcaps off and you are ready to start the install. You have to break the bead on each wheel and drill three holes into the lip of the rim. The discs are pre-drilled and you drill the holes to match. After you drill the holes you need to tap them to fit the stainless steel screws that they include. I was very meticulous in this part because I didn't want the discs to wobble going down the road.

The looked great and got lots of attention. As far as I know I was the first to do these. I was totally pro-Moons until they started cracking.Within a couple of months all four were cracked. I called Moon Eyes and asked them about it and was told that they had never heard of a set cracking. Very hard to believe and they made it clear that I was on my own. It was time for Bud's Rendezvous so I ordered another set just to have the HHR look good for the weekend. I installed them the morning that we left. By the end of the weekend, two of the discs were cracked.

I don't know if they got a bad run of them or what but I do know that I followed their instructions to a T. They made no hint of offering to make it right so I decided that it would be cheaper to just order a set of wheels.

That's the end of that story.

But I was surprised to see you say that these that you go will work on an HHR. Moon Eyes has an HHR company vehicle and they said that no clip-on wheel covers would work on the stock HHR wheel. They said that there was just not enough area on the lip of the wheel for the clips to catch and hold. I am glad that you have found out differently and people have another option.

Another downside to the Moon Eyes is that your valve cap is covered and it is a pain to keep regular checks on tire pressure.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 AM

We just got my 18's for $850.00, put on of course, he got us a great package, locks, lugs, satin stems *to match the rest of my car* couldn't beat it, plus it was the exact LOOK I wanted... it pays to have a hubby who has friends all over the place...
Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Songman
Another downside to the Moon Eyes is that your valve cap is covered and it is a pain to keep regular checks on tire pressure.
It seems like your brakes would get extremely hot with these also.

Quick Reply: Rim Opinions...please.