Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Shifter - The jury is in

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by crowbar
factory or aftermarket?
It's an aftermarket that I found on eBay for a Cobalt.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by crowbar
factory or aftermarket?
oops
Old 03-28-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
Dang, that looks short!! My guess is about 2" less than stock. Right?

With me at 6' and the seat all the way back, it looks like I'd have to lean forward to reach 1st, 3rd and 5th. I also like having the armrest down. Does that create an issue for you?

I find the throw OK and the reach good, but also have thought about doing the mod just for the shorter throw. I think what made me decide to hold off was the available selection of knobs. I like the stock chrome ball!

You should see my 5' 4" daughter driving... she likes the armrest down and with the seat forward, she actually has to do an awkward reach, with her elbow up and forward and her forearm straight down. It really looks funny to me!

On my old Datsun Z, I modified the shifter by fabbing a piece and moving the pivot point upward. That shortened the throw considerable while maintaining the same top height. In looking at some pics of the Cobalt shifter, it looked difficult to relocate the pivot.

Anyway, how about some feedback on the reach for you (please mention your height)?

yeah it's about 1 1/2" shorter than the stocker plus the shift handle mounts lower on the shaft (the stocker mounts high on the shaft).

being as tall as you are it probably would be a moot point since your reach is also much longer than mine. Like your daughter I'm short, only 5'5" so I have the seat forward and pretty high. I also have to do the awkward reach with the arm rest down so it stay's up most of the time unless I'm cruising on the freeway.

The lower cable connector below the pivot ball on this shifter is extended a bit compared to the stock shifter.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:16 PM

Joe, I had a 77 280 Z. I cut my shifter down then threaded it for standard Hurst threads. It worked great, but a few of my friends had a hard time driving my car-said that it required too much effort (I also had shorter steering knuckles, so the manual steering was much harder plus a HD clutch so the pedal was much stiffer plus a lightened flywheel so the car would stall easier if not launched at the right RPM).
Old 03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

It seeing thing like this that made me wish I hadn't got an auto. Good job.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
It seeing thing like this that made me wish I hadn't got an auto. Good job.
Thanks CH, I'm just one of those people who like experimenting with things. My next project is to see how I can make a Hurst Camaro leather shift knob fit this shifter. It's really nice, dark grey leather with nice stitching. Would look good and will match the darker grey parts of the interior.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:00 AM

** THREAD HIJACK ALERT! * *

I'm going to be trying to hook one of these up in my auto:

Face it, chrome and polished billet are out, and carbon fiber and brushed aluminum are in. The new Black Diamond shifter from B&M addresses this look and brings your g-Machine into the 21st century. The Black Diamond ratchet-type shifter is made of real carbon fiber, holds two standard 2 1/16-inch gauges and a momentary contact switch (for line-lock or nitrous), and works with most common automatic transmissions (GM TH-400, 350, 250, 200, 700R4, 200-4R, Ford C4, C6, AOD, Mopar TF-727 & 904). Get a great look with no missed shifts in a package that costs around $410.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 AM

SoCal, that shifter rawks
Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

Too bad it doesn't work with the HHRs transmission.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Too bad it doesn't work with the HHRs transmission.
We'll see about that. It works with most tranny's on the market, so I'm pretty certain we can get it to work with the HHR trans. Face it - B&M is going to list the popular "mod" vehicle's trannys it works with - I doubt they would even know at this point if it would work on an HHR.

Quick Reply: Shifter - The jury is in