Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Steelie Caps

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_style
These are the stock wheels for the LS Panel. I took off the 5-spoke hub cap & these are what I found underneath. Nice huh? When I first pulled the hub caps the wheels were dirty & I figured I'd have to re-paint them but all it took was some soap & water & they still had the nice GM paint color on them. I had to change out the lug nuts because the stock ones were hideous. Do you have aluminum wheels?
No foolin? I guess I will have to see what my dealer or a local junkyard will charge me for a set of them puppies. The rims I have now (American Racing Aluminum) were I think $250 a piece (I didn't buy them the previous owner did) and the tires are Hankook Ventus tires which are not at all going to be useful in the upcoming NY winters. I really do like the look of your tires much better than mine even :)
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by zudote
... I really do like the look of your tires much better than mine even :)
The tires are the stock Firestones that come on the '07 HHR Panel. They may look good (to you) but the ride is noisy. When I need tires in the future I'll probaly go with a different tire.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
Not to hijack, but here's how I did mine...for those of us who don't have access to a machine shop

Billet Specialties engine breather assy...base mounts to hubs (with modifications to base assy), then cap screws onto base...these aren't coming off! These retail for $36.95 each here...

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...id=214&pid=145
Those look good Jeff-O. After I first posted my 'steelie cap' blurb I saw a pop-up ad at the bottom of the page for Centercaps.net http://www.centercaps.net/caps/detai...tockNumber=738
They have a sweet little Chevy logo cap that I now have to have haha
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by HHR_style
I saw a pop-up ad at the bottom of the page for Centercaps.net
Would these just pop into place on the stock wheels, or would you hae to do some modification to them?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Fit?

Originally Posted by txbass06
Would these just pop into place on the stock wheels, or would you have to do some modification to them?
The (bore) size of the HHR wheel I ended up with is about 2.116". It says these aftermarket caps are 2.250'' wide. I haven't actually seen one in my hands yet but I bet you'd have to make an adapter piece, similar to what I have now for my "steelie caps". I might buy one to check it out.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Rear caps

Started on my rear steelie caps. Got to turning metal & decided that a 'plug' would be easier to make. First revision:
Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 PM

hey, thought these might look bad ass with your setup. they are trucker style lug nut covers. i really wish i had stock steelies instead of these, but they'll do for now.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:04 PM

Your new caps look cool! They remind me of the hub or something on my truck when I take the caps off the wheels.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by lunchbox_mafioso
hey, thought these might look bad ass with your setup. they are trucker style lug nut covers. i really wish i had stock steelies instead of these, but they'll do for now.

Those are wicked man!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by lunchbox_mafioso
i really wish i had stock steelies instead of these[/IMG]
I'll trade ya