Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Tinting Headlights Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 AM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Tinting Headlights Question

Who has tinted their headights to look like the Fall Edition, and what do you use? I'm thinking of tinting mine.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 AM

i have the fall edition but i tinted mine cause they werent really dark but if you want black tint use VHT nightshades you can get it at o'reily's autoparts but the is a way to do it right if you do it
Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM

Vht niteshades and a good clearcoat. Mine look like the day i did them , Holding up perfect. Check my photos.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 AM

no clear coat is needed if you do it right i did my headlights tail lights and reflectors you just have to follow directions
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 AM

You better check on the laws where you live. In Utah that is illegal and would never pass safety inspection. No inspection, no license plates. Even though you live in another state your vehicle technically has to pass inspection here if it is operated in this state. This may not be enforced, but it can be. A lot of four wheel drives are learning this the hard way.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I only want to tint the headlights... we can't afford the Fall Edition lights, just yet... maybe the fat man in the red suit will drop a pair off for me.

Karl

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
You better check on the laws where you live. In Utah that is illegal and would never pass safety inspection. No inspection, no license plates. Even though you live in another state your vehicle technically has to pass inspection here if it is operated in this state. This may not be enforced, but it can be. A lot of four wheel drives are learning this the hard way.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
That's sound more on the line of harassment. While in the military, I kept GA tags at every duty station. I had a few states try crap, but all failed. My car was legal in the state is was registered in.

Now on the military installations themselves..... Different laws.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
I only want to tint the headlights... we can't afford the Fall Edition lights, just yet... maybe the fat man in the red suit will drop a pair off for me.

Karl
Karl-

Are you only wanting to tint the surrounding areas on the headlights & NOT the light opening it self ?

Seems to me tinting the whole lense would have some effect on night visability... I would think anyway.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by HHR'07
no clear coat is needed if you do it right i did my headlights tail lights and reflectors you just have to follow directions
I Have seen many tint jobs on headlights and tail lights, Without a clear coat, the sun and elements will fade them, With a UV sheilded clear coat they can look as shiny as your paint. VHT with a uv clear coat is the only way to go.

I'm sure you've been behind someone that did'nt clear coat, notice the flat black tint, That looks totaly weathered with no shine. If you've got flat paint , Then go for it. If you want the tint sealed and protected and shiny, Clear coat.

If your a young kid, don't tint anything, You will get hassled by the fuzz. I hav'nt been givien a second look by a cop, except for a road side safty check, And they were more intrested in what i was driving than anything illegal i had done to it.

Yes the tint will darken your lights, If you put to many coats on , I intentionaly put extra coats on. And they look wicked !!!!!!!!!! And my fogs are allways on which seems to equalize the tint effects. The key is light coats and take your time.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

I want to tint the plastic covering the lenses, not the lenses itself... to make it look like the Fall Edition headlights.

Karl

Originally Posted by SSguy
Karl-

Are you only wanting to tint the surrounding areas on the headlights & NOT the light opening it self ?

Seems to me tinting the whole lense would have some effect on night visability... I would think anyway.

Quick Reply: Tinting Headlights Question