Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Upgrading my 2009 Interior Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by hhr9
the standard on-star mirror in my 09 LS had the 16-pin connector used in all the auto-dimming mirrors with on-star. I had an older mirror I picked up about 8 years ago and never used, and after checking it out on the bench determined I could plug it right in, which I did and it worked fine (including on-star). so, I would think you could get any GM mirror (and likely others) with the 16-pin connector and on-star and it would work without modification.

Not really the connector he has is 7 pin not 16 pin he does not have onstar If I read him correctly therefore he would need to get a connector and rewire it.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Not really the connector he has is 7 pin not 16 pin he does not have onstar If I read him correctly therefore he would need to get a connector and rewire it.
there must be an on-star delete option, wasn't thinking of that. all the new mirror needs is the +12v (switched/ignition) and gnd (pins 13 and 8) to get basic dimming & compass (if the mirror has a temperature display you will need to add the sensor and wires for that to work).

pinouts for both are here:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...asp?TID=102543
Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 PM

I am, by nature, a procrastinator, so I have been sitting on my new (to me) mirror for a month. I have spoken to a lot of people on this forum, as well as at my dealer. I don't want to fry any electronics, especially, where OnStar is concerned.

Yesterday, I swapped out the mirror. One simple screw, off came the mirror, and unclipping the electrical plug was all it took. Snapped the plug onto the new mirror, installed the screw, and viola! Completed.

Now for the scary part. Turned the key on and made an OnStar call. Worked! I also saw my mirror has a blue compass heading. But I also noticed that it was displaying the wrong reading. I was pointed North, but the display said I was pointed SW. Bummer.

I then took the car out for a spin, and after about 10 minutes, the compass reset itself, and showed the correct display. Hooray! Had to wait until night to check on the Auto Dimming but it worked also, no problems!

Now, I have to see my Chevrolet Dealer Monday and see what they charge to reset my new radio so it will work. I'm on a roll!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM

I have a 2009 hhr LT, what is DIC? i dont think i have a compass on mine
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM

DIC stands for Driver's Information Center. it's the display in your dash that shows Total Mileage, Outside Temperature, Trip A and B, Average MPG, Instant MPG, Remaining Oil Life (in percentage), Tire Pressure for all tires, and Coolant Temperature. I think I got it all It's controlled by the "Info" button in your steering wheel next to the cruise control buttons.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 PM

High-end Chevy's have an advanced mirror that will display a compass reading and the outside temp in a little window on the upper right side. The HHR has it's temp control wired to the dash as part of the DIC, but does have a pre-wired compass wire in the 16 wire plug module that inserts on the back of the mirror. When you insert your 16-pin into the mirror, the compass is automatically activated, but since there is no wire for the temp, then no temp displays.

On the LT, you probably have a manual lever you flip to dim the mirror when an idiot runs up behind you with their lights on high, or some pickup that had a jacked up body but failed to re-adjust his headlights. Your wiring harness contains the proper wire to initiate the auto-dimming function on the high end mirror. Also, some mirrors contain two map lights on the bottom edge of the mirror, great for illuminating the little map box on the dash.

The SS models and some LT had the the more advanced mirrors as well as high-end Chevy models like Cadillac.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie
But I also noticed that it was displaying the wrong reading. I was pointed North, but the display said I was pointed SW. Bummer.

I then took the car out for a spin, and after about 10 minutes, the compass reset itself, and showed the correct display.
The owners manual has a section on the mirror. You need to tell the mirror in what zone you live so the compass functions properly. Then there is a way to calibrate it if it is off. It just involves driving in circles in a parking lot. But you should make sure the compass is set to the correct zone for where you live.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM

I have a simple mirror with the manual flipper lever to dim. There's no wires coming down from the trim, just a hole. So is there a seven holed plug and harness up in the headliner waiting for me or did I order a Gentex 221 to no avail? (I drive the beater and my quality time w the new HHR has been near nada)

The 2009 2LT build shows auto-dimming mirror and compass but not on this baby...

Last edited by idude999; 07-23-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add year
Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM

the 2009 LT2 comes standard with the auto dimming mirror (and it's on your build list), the dealer must have swapped it into another car (to make a sale?) and put the cheapie one in your car. I'd go back to the dealer and get them to put the right mirror in there (good luck)!

(if the dealer is a jerk, they're also available on ebay for ~$50)

Originally Posted by idude999
I have a simple mirror with the manual flipper lever to dim. There's no wires coming down from the trim, just a hole. So is there a seven holed plug and harness up in the headliner waiting for me or did I order a Gentex 221 to no avail? (I drive the beater and my quality time w the new HHR has been near nada)

The 2009 2LT build shows auto-dimming mirror and compass but not on this baby...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie
I have the plain-jane basic mirror in my 2009 HHR. I have acquired a 2009 mirror with automatic darkening, and has the temp/compass cut-out in the top right corner. My question - is this a straight swap out?
Hey UncleDannie: Just a quick couple of questions... 1) By "Plain Jane" mirror was that without power, cable, etc.? and 2) Where did you find your OnStar Mirror w/dimmer?

I have a 2009 HHR LT/LT2 that I bought slightly used from a dealership in upstate NY. My vehicle was a rental car from Florida. I suspect that they took out the OnStar buttons/mirror, antenna, and the bluetooth as well. All I really want is the bluetooth (my steering wheel has the buttons for it), but I will be checking tomorrow to see if they left the OnStar module in the rear panel. Hoping all I will need is the mirror and a new "stubby" antenna.

EDIT: Just a FYI, I called my dealer and he found out some info on my vehicle. Looks like it never had the OnStar/Bluetooth module with it and there is no GM "kit" to install it. My only option would be to find the parts/wires from someone else's equipped HHR (parts cars, etc.) and install it myself. Even then, it may require some programming, drilling, and other things that I probably don't want to do.

Bottom line: OnStar is out for me, and so (seemingly) is the Bluetooth and XM OEM features. Aftermarket it is!

Last edited by WorldOfJohnboy; 08-26-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added info.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my 2009 Interior Mirror