Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Well, finally installed factory fog lamps...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 PM

Cool Well, finally installed factory fog lamps...

I initially wanted to run the lamps the EXACT factory way...I have the switch installed, the relay is there and the fuse...

I just don't have the BCM to PDC circuit in place. Something happened when I tried the first time that resulted in my PDC no longer working.

My dealership replaced it and its fine now, I haven't attempted to do the link since. The BCM is programmed to SEE the fog switch and illuminates the idiot light accordingly.

Instead, I decided to create a relayed circuit that tripped off of the driver's side marker lamp. It works flawlessly. In the morning, I will have to pull the DRL fuse since I also upgraded the headlamps to 4300K HIDS...

Oh, the fogs are 4300K too. They look classy.
These fogs are eBay factory replacement lamps made by Eagle. I highly recommend them. I will aim them up a little higher tomorrow. Its raining pretty bad here and I don't wanna get soaked. Currently, they're aimed rather downward. I like my fogs to aim almost parallel with the ground and function more as driving lamps that augment my vision...

Wow. The difference in incredible. I highly recommend it.

PS: Nobody has flashed me or anything on my first cruise with them. The cut-off on the factory reflector housings are above par and do not scatter anywhere near as much as most.

Name:  IMAG0679.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0698.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  22.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0701.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0695.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  120.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0690.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0686.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  8.7 KB
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 PM

How long did it take you to install them and put the car back together?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 PM

I took my time... drank a couple beers. About 3 hours, but I could do it again in probably an hour and a half. I made my own harnesses and wrapped them and heatshrink-ed all connections and exposures.

I spent about 20 minutes thinking about how and where I wanted to run my relay. I recommend that you wrap a small flathead screw driver in electrical tape to use as a prying tool on the fascia spurs when you take it off.

All the tools I needed were 10mm on a 3/8" ratchet with 3" extension for the headlamp retainers and battery detent. An end-driver with 7mm socket for the 6 fascia screws (2 inward of the headlamps, and two in the fenderwells). A pair of needle-nose pliers to pry the plastic rivets out. Wire crimpers, stripper, and soldering iron and solder-with various connector.

Oh, and a beautiful girlfriend to pass the time and ask cute questions...
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. Is it important to use a relay if i use the wiring from one of the parking lights?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 PM

Absolutely. The wiring for the parking lamp didn't appear to be robust enough to handle the potential 30A that 2 HID ballasts generate upon cold start. Also, I put a fuseable link in series nearly right off the battery. It is a 30A type.

I simply used the lamp circuit as a trigger to trip the relay and arm the custom circuit I made for the fogs.

I used a couple trailer pigtails like these:

to make some weatherproof connectors for either side of the fog harness so that I can swap out a bad HID kit if I must later on down the road.

I also grounded the relay and the harness for my fog to my horn bracket. My positive lead came directly from the PDC under the hood-the MAIN positive lead. From there, a 30A fuseable, then to one side of the relay. The other side lead to the HID harness.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Nice Job, those babies are Bright !!!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 AM

THANKS! Heck yes they are! I still need to adjust them to where I'm happy. They really do a lot for the look of the vehicle, too. I have found a greater appreciation for it since I've done this. The only thing I would change if I COULD would be to have gotten a panel instead.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

I know I use my fogs plenty..But mine are only stock brightness. Still lights up the road, as I have em adjusted as you have described..

& I agree they do add a lot to the look !!!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Do I simply pull the DRL fuse? Or, could Ijust make another harness to trip a relay so it won't matter anymore?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Well, finally installed factory fog lamps...