Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Windshield haze?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Question Windshield haze?

I am totally at a loss! Ive only had the car for a month or so but i have noticed a "HAZE" on the windshield most prominent when driving toward early morning or at sunset AND oncoming headlights as well as street lights. It almost appears as though something ran down down the glass. I was almost questioning whether it was on the inside or out but i am certain its exterior. Its only the windshield. I did some research and came up with NUMEROUS ideas to clean this problem. Well as of this morning nothing has worked!
Here is what i tried. (each product had its OWN rags/ terry cloth towels)
1. HOT water
2. Stoners invisible glass
3. Glass rub compound
4. Borax powder
5. simple green
6. degreaser
7. PAINT THINNER!

The only thing left i have not tried is White Vinegar.

I dont get it! I used these inside and out. I used hot water, invisible glass, and newspaper between each test so that i would not be mixing the chemicals. THE WINDSHIELD looks awesome and each one worked great except for those damned streaks/Haze is still visible from an angle!!!!!!! I am at my wits end!!! Whats left? a $500 new windshield?

HELP!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 AM

now, not to be mean but are you certain 100% that it's exterior... if you've done all that to it, it seems like you would have gotten it.

i've heard (but don't know the validity of it) that new cars often get a haze on the inside of the windshield. It's from the chemicals in the plastic of the dash "evaporating" out of it as it bakes in the sun. My dad worked for buick for 33 years and said this was a common thing.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Ya, it's the "offgassing" of the interior parts.
My last two vehicles have been pickups , and i've noticed interior hazing on the inside windows happening a lot faster with the SS than the trucks (duh, more interior/pieces now)

The only stuff i've used the last 10 yrs has been Sparkle glass cleaner (mainly cuz you don't want to use ammonia based cleaners w/ window tint) and it has worked fine for me.
Dunno why you are having seemingly extra problems with getting the glass clean tho.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

Most likely it is on the inside. What I do after washing the inside of the glass is to face the sun so I can see the haze that didn't come off and take either a newspaper and wipe it again. It is a known fact that some paper towels can also cause that haze. I find if I buy the super cheap rough paper towels they don't do as bad or at all. Only problem is those are usually the stores house brand and they buy from whoever they can get them at the cheapest so the next time out you buy them they leave the haze. If you do find some that work, go back to the store and stock up and use them only for the windshield. That is what I do.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

I concur with the out gassing theory expressed above.

An old trick to determine where the streaks are...in or out....

Clean one side with wiping back and forth. Clean the other side with up and down. IF/WHEN the streaks are revealed you can determine which side presents the problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM

i get it too i just clean the interior with some stoner and im good to go for a whjile
Old 08-16-2008, 12:16 PM

Try warm water with ammonia - it stinks but it works
Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 PM

I seem to have a problem keeping my windows clean on the outside--all the time. I keep a small microfiber in the top compartment to wipe down the windows pretty much every day as it looks like they are clouding up.

At the Meguair's clinic last week, they had a glass product that someone in the group said worked well--will try that next.

@ngelita...lives in a haze anyway, but hates seeing it on her car!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM

I have had problems with water spots and such on my outside glass and tried a lot of products to remove them and the "road film" Some products expensive some not. I found that BarKeepers Friend works excellent as long as you follow the directions on making the paste and useing it on the glass. I will clean with Barkeepers, rinse off, clean with a non amonia cleaner, and apply Sonus window wax. Although this last time I applied Liquid Glass at the end.

I found BarKeepers Friend at Wally World, and it is not espensive when you consider a can goes a long way. here is there web site also
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Labdog
I am totally at a loss! Ive only had the car for a month or so but i have noticed a "HAZE" on the windshield most prominent when driving toward early morning or at sunset AND oncoming headlights as well as street lights. It almost appears as though something ran down down the glass. I was almost questioning whether it was on the inside or out but i am certain its exterior. Its only the windshield. I did some research and came up with NUMEROUS ideas to clean this problem. Well as of this morning nothing has worked!
Here is what i tried. (each product had its OWN rags/ terry cloth towels)
1. HOT water
2. Stoners invisible glass
3. Glass rub compound
4. Borax powder
5. simple green
6. degreaser
7. PAINT THINNER!

The only thing left i have not tried is White Vinegar.

I dont get it! I used these inside and out. I used hot water, invisible glass, and newspaper between each test so that i would not be mixing the chemicals. THE WINDSHIELD looks awesome and each one worked great except for those damned streaks/Haze is still visible from an angle!!!!!!! I am at my wits end!!! Whats left? a $500 new windshield?

HELP!!!!
My windshield does the same thing. It's most likely interior. More noticable in humid conditions. I hope you find something that works so I can use it to

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Windshield haze?