Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

2nd mod, overheating amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Question 2nd mod, overheating amp

o.k. so i decided to throw in an amp and sub while it takes forever to build my fiberglass setup (im slow lol). So i put on a line lvl, 12" in a bandpass and rockford amp, all on stock non sub hu. But today after a 45 min drive to work with the stereo cranked the amp started cutting out. Its never done this before (had the amp 3 year). I placed the amp in the tray above the spare tire, had the table down and the sub on top of it all. So i figure its maybe overheating or at the end of its life. From that long drawn out explanation my question is this.. for those of you who have your amps covered or in the tray over the spare tire, any overheating issues?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:02 PM

no problems whatsoever here. been running mine like this for about 6 months now.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:12 PM

Ive had mine next to the spare with no problems.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

No problems with mine being there.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM

hmmm... i guess the amp is just at the end of its life then. it doesnt really matter i guess since im putting in all new when im finished with the new setup.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:02 AM

No probs with mine. Just to be sure I wired a computer fan to the remote line just to keep air moving under there.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:17 PM

I'm guessing your line-level converter needs to be turned down just a tad. If the level is slightly high, it will cause input clipping on your amp. You can get away with that for a while, but eventually the amp will shut down from this. Sounds exactly like what is happening. Try lowering the output level of the converter and see if the problem persists.

*BTW: I've had my 300-watt mono sub amp buried in the tray above the battery for 9-months now; - covered by the floor panel and optional heavy-duty embriodered cargo carpet. Very little air circulates in there. No problems at all, even during extended high SPL's.

Hope it helps,
Old 10-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I'm guessing your line-level converter needs to be turned down just a tad. If the level is slightly high, it will cause input clipping on your amp. You can get away with that for a while, but eventually the amp will shut down from this. Sounds exactly like what is happening. Try lowering the output level of the converter and see if the problem persists.

*BTW: I've had my 300-watt mono sub amp buried in the tray above the battery for 9-months now; - covered by the floor panel and optional heavy-duty embriodered cargo carpet. Very little air circulates in there. No problems at all, even during extended high SPL's.

Hope it helps,
thanks, i'll try turning it down and see if that does anything. when i got the convertor it was set about 3/4 on the pots, i backed it down to around half, i'll see if 1/4 does anything to help.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 PM

You might not even need to turn it down that much - just a tad. If you're listening and hear no audible distortion when the HU is cranked up, it might just be overloading the amps inputs enough to shut it down. Go slow with the adjustments until it doesn't shut off when played loudly.

Hope it helps,
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 PM

'preciate all the help. i backed it off just a lil bit, can run it all the way to 30 with no distortion, but just siitin with no audio runnin through the amp, the amp is heatin up like crazy. It may be about to go.

Quick Reply: 2nd mod, overheating amp