Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

8" Type-R in rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Question 8" Type-R in rear hatch

So, I am slowly building my system, and have been looking for a location to put a small sub. My hhr is an LT but did not come with the Pioneer Premium Sound so I do not have a sub/amp/box in the rear. I have thought about custom making a box in the factory location, but have started to think that that may take more time (and math) then I would like to spend. I would really like to have a sub that would stand alone without taking up space in the cabin (which is why I've been looking into the factory location).

I have recently contemplated using the rear hatch as the location. Using a smaller 8" Type-R. If I could find a way to seal the hatch (like a box), I think that that would be plenty of air space for that small sub. Also, I dont think that this particular sub is all that deep. I also am aware that I would probably need stronger shocks to keep the hatch open for every day use.

Has anyone out there ever done this? Or has anyone ever seen this being done. Any thoughts or suggestions you may have woul be greatly appreciated. Looking for ideas I may not have thought of yet...
Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM

I have 2 speakers mounted in my back hatch. I would not recommend a subwoofer in the hatch due to rattles and the problem with the shocks. My shocks are just good enough to hold the extra weight of my speakers. Just get an box and put it in the cargo area. I still haul a ton of stuff with mine and it never really gets in the way. If it does I just will take it out for the trip. (hasn't happened yet)