Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Adding a amp + sub

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Adding a amp + sub

OK so I have the 6 speaker system in my '09 SS (USB and aux jack in the factory radio, auto volume control, XM and Onstar, etc). I have a deal on a Rockford 500W amp, a capacitor, and an Alpine typeR 10" sub in a sealed box. Can I add all this to the factory radio?? I can get it cheap, but if I have to redo the entire stereo then I might pass.

Later
Allex
Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Are you asking if you can hook the amp and sub up without replacing the factory head unit? If so, yes you can. All you would need is something like this
http://www.autosoundcentral.com/PAC_...oemgm1416a.htm
Old 09-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Are you sure you dont have the pioneer sub in the back? I didnt think you could get the SS with USB and not have the system with subwoofer.
Anyways, its not that difficult to add an amp and sub, there are a couple different ways depending on how far you want to go. Also the cap wouldnt be needed, but some people think more stuff is better.
If that Rockford amp has speaker level inputs, you can just disconnect the rear speakers and run those wires to the amp.
A more complete install would be to add a line level converter (previous post), which would let you use the RCA inputs on the amp. That one looks like it may allow you to also use the rear speakers, but Im not sure about that model. Some people say that gives you better sound quality.
The next step up from there would be to add a second amp for the door speakers, allowing you to also use the rear door speakers. You might want to upgrade all 6 speakers at that point too.
Its up to you, how much money and effort you want to put into it. You can also do it in stages. Right now I have two amps running off the line level inputs with the OEM door speakers and a dual 12" sub box. I am happy with that for now.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Are you sure you dont have the pioneer sub in the back? I didnt think you could get the SS with USB and not have the system with subwoofer.
Anyways, its not that difficult to add an amp and sub, there are a couple different ways depending on how far you want to go. Also the cap wouldnt be needed, but some people think more stuff is better.
If that Rockford amp has speaker level inputs, you can just disconnect the rear speakers and run those wires to the amp.
A more complete install would be to add a line level converter (previous post), which would let you use the RCA inputs on the amp. That one looks like it may allow you to also use the rear speakers, but Im not sure about that model. Some people say that gives you better sound quality.
The next step up from there would be to add a second amp for the door speakers, allowing you to also use the rear door speakers. You might want to upgrade all 6 speakers at that point too.
Its up to you, how much money and effort you want to put into it. You can also do it in stages. Right now I have two amps running off the line level inputs with the OEM door speakers and a dual 12" sub box. I am happy with that for now.
No unfortunately. I even had ChevyMgr run my VIN and my SS didn't come w/ the sub. It came withthe upgraded (for '09) radio, but just 6 speakers I just want to add some punch to the system. Trust me once the sub is in, the "bug" will bite me and I'll wind up getting a whole new system done.... sigh, I know myself tooo well.

Thanks
Allex
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM

If when you say "getting a whole new system done" you mean the head unit also I'll buy your USB stocker.
Let me know.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:07 AM

Absolutely Mowgli! I'll keep you posted.

Allex
Old 09-05-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm interested in upgrades to the factory radio speakers and amp as well.

My Scion Xd's factory radio sounds WAY better that the upgraded GM radio that came in my SS.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:19 PM

What's good people? I was hesitant to add a new post to what seems to be an existing topic. My situation is very similar, if not the same as Asanti's. My black '09 SS w/ the "upgraded" audio system (includes Bluetooth, USB & Auxiliary connections) is a recent addition, got her with only 6 miles lite up odometer, and I've been craving some punch is this beast ever since I set foot in her. For the first time in my life, I want to keep the stock stereo head/computer system, but insist on adding either this Pioneer BassLink II box w/ included amp for rears or RF 10"s....I just need to know if the item listed above TXBass06 will work with an "upgraded" '09 audio system and/or what are my alternatives? Bass is the only thing missing from this sweet ass vehicle. I appreciate the knowledge people...I'm open ears for whatever suggestions you might have from experience on adding some bass to this car without taking up too much space, hence the BassLink. I'll be checking back often, good lookin' out.