Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Adding HID Fogs to LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Adding HID Fogs to LS

So I've spent about two hours today going through old threads within the forum to get a concrete answer to this, but haven't seem to have found it.

Over the next few months, I'll hopefully start buying up everything I need to change my headlights to HIDs and to also add fog lights to my LS with HIDs. I'm planning on buying the OEM fogs, so I can keep it close to stock with the aesthetics. That and I'll be doing all of this in one sitting.

Having looked over the other fog light threads, I know I'll be trying to go the way of just putting in a switch to control when they're on, but other than that, is there anything extra that I'll need since I'll be going straight for the fog HIDs? How would the wiring be (if any) be different from wiring up aftermarket lights?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Most of your hids will be plug and play. I picked up an inexpensive kit on amazon that just plugged into the factory plug. You'll want to run an additional relay so that you don't have any problems with powering the hids.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
Most of your hids will be plug and play. I picked up an inexpensive kit on amazon that just plugged into the factory plug. You'll want to run an additional relay so that you don't have any problems with powering the hids.
I'm currently under the impression that the LS does not have the wiring for fogs. I haven't had any chance to look and see for myself, but that's basically the conclusion that I was able to come from previous threads.

Anybody chime in on this? Just wondering as to what all I would need, aside from what comes in the HID kit, to make this possible.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by bulldawg449
I'm currently under the impression that the LS does not have the wiring for fogs. I haven't had any chance to look and see for myself, but that's basically the conclusion that I was able to come from previous threads.

Anybody chime in on this? Just wondering as to what all I would need, aside from what comes in the HID kit, to make this possible.
Oh yeah, you'll need to run either an aftermarket wiring kit or you can probably get the full factory kit as well. I misunderstood what you were asking. While you are running all the wires, make sure you go ahead and run a relay kit for the HIDs too.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 AM

M LT didn't have the factory fogs when I bough it. I didn't really want the factory wiring either (mine still had them). So I went aftermarket. Later I switched them out for the factory lights themselves and kept the wiring I installed. Almost 6 years later, no issues. I've also installed HIDs in them.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ghlight=lights

Here's a referance to the wiring I installed.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 AM

I don't think that a kit so to speak is made for a full factory kit. A wire harness for the full headlight system maybe. From the under hood fuse box to the headlights. Price will be high. Make your own like myself and others on here.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks y'all! Exactly the answers I was looking for. I'll hopefully start doing all of this come September, so I'm sure I'll have more questions around then.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 AM

If you can, invest in doing a retro. I always recommend it over a PNP kit and you'll be able to see a lot better and further! It won't have all that blinding foreground light. Instead, it focuses the light along the cutoff line to improve distance vision.

If you don't care to go that route, then PLEASE aim your headlights and fog lights downward if you use PNP's, out of safety for other drivers..
Old 08-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Cool Catz Driving Lights.

I have aftermarket fogs on my Lt as they did not come on all hhr's and they look and act better then the originals. Their catz fogs and they are wonderful although not being Hid's as they were not out then.
jeff