Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket headunit with Pioneer speaker option.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Aftermarket headunit with Pioneer speaker option.

I picked up the new HHR,an 07, with the xm radio and pioneer option speaker upgrade. Here`s what I thought I could do. I wanted to switch to Sirius by using the aftermarket "brainbox" SirGM1 but apparently this is not compatable with the 07 radio. My next thought was to go with an aftermarket headunit,the Panasonic cqvd6505u double din dvd reciever with the sirpan1 add on sat reciever for the Sirius and the appropriate i-pod cord. I want to add the headunit and retain the Pioneer speaker setup and everything else downstream. In digging in other threads I have found that I will lose the chimes,no big deal, but some have spoken of losing the DIC as well. Is this the case? Losing the chimes is ok but to lose the DIC and to have it cause any other problems would pretty much kill any ideas of stepping up the stereo. I appreciate your help.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM

You will NOT lose the DIC. However, if you're going to the trouble of replacing the HU, I'd do the speakers too. They sound decent but they are just cheap paper cones.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Yes! Definatly change the speakers. I recently changed the head unit, and boy do I need to change the speakers. I mean it sounds OK but it sounds as if there is something missing from the sound.

I believe Mike will agree that the infinity reference series 6 1/2s are a good starting point. Errr. Uh, ending point.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Would this be the harness to use or does the Pioneer setup require a different one? I like the idea of using a harness so I can quickly swap back to stock if I ever get rid of the car.

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=71-2104