Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket HU, Amp, Spkrs. - Stock Spkr wire.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Aftermarket HU, Amp, Spkrs. - Stock Spkr wire.

I have an '08 HHR SS with the factory Pioneer 7 speaker option. I've upgraded the HU to a Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT (I used the correct GM harness, adapter for OnStar and SW controls). Everything works fine. I want to use a Cadence 4 Channel amp and Premier speakers in all 4 doors. I already added the speakers by tapping into the stock door speaker wires. In the original install I ran all my RCAs and remote power lead wires from the HU to the rear of the car where the amp will be mounted. My question is this; Can I just disconnect the factory harness at the rear factory amp, splice into and run those speaker wires to my Cadence amp instead of running a whole new set of wires from each door? I'm an old guy and just don't want to do anymore panel removing or carpet lifting.... Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 AM

You should be able to do that, but might not need to. I have added an amp to run my new sub, but left all the door speakers running off my stock amp. The sound is amazing. The stock amp puts out plenty to run my infinities in the doors. The kicker amp runs the kicker sub in the stock location.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by waloupis
Can I just disconnect the factory harness at the rear factory amp, splice into and run those speaker wires to my Cadence amp instead of running a whole new set of wires from each door?
Yup - you can do this. This is the approach several other folks have taken as well, to avoid running new wires everywhere.

I cut the factory speaker wire harness off about 5 inches from the connector to the stock amp... then installed some bullet connectors inline so that I could:
(1) attach some short speaker wires to the speaker outputs on the aftermarket amp, OR
(2) reconnect the stock connector/amplifier

Works good for me.

D
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Talking

Thanks boys! That's great news. I'll be doing that this weekend.