Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

A big a$$ mess!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM

A big a$$ mess!!!

Some of you may remember that before the Peoria run I had a little mishap with an auto-car-wash which broke my antenna base. You may also remember that when I replaced it the radio didn't work until I loosened the bolt holding the base connecting the base to the hood.

Well......

I took it to the dealer Monday to have them tighten the base, didn't tell them the whole story hoping to get it done under warranty. Anyway, two hours later they call me to pick up the car. Get in, no chimes, no music, nothing!

So I tell to a service writer and tell him the radio isn't working and that it was working when I brought it in. He calls out the tech who worked on it. He sat in the car and made this brilliant statement, "yup, it ain't working". He plays with it for a couple minutes and asks me if I replaced the speakers, I told him I did, but that that shouldn't cause the radio to stop working. Then he notices the control for my neon and starts quizzing me about that. Again I say yes but that doesn't have anything to do with the radio.

So they pull it back in and mess with it for 2 1/2 hours. Yes , I suggested loosening the antenna base again to test it but they looked at me like I was from outer space! I actually saw them switching my antenna for a OEM back and forth. Of course that didn't work. Finally they tell me that the "scanner" told them it was a bad radio. I told them that that didn't make since since the radio was working fine when I brought it in and I mentioned checking to see if maybe there might be a ground connected to the base somehow. Again the alien look!

So they order a new radio. I took the car back and they put the new radio in this morning and also tell me they found a short somewhere (I think they shorted something out trying to figure it out!). I go to pick up the car and guess what....

Get in, no chimes, no music, nothing!

I get the tech again and tell them its not working, apparently they didn't check it out. They of course swear it was working! Well later I get a message from them asking me to call the service dept. I call and am told that they can't fix it and since I have aftermarket speakers, they won't work on it anymore until it has the factory speakers back in it!!

I lost it!!

Yes, I mentioned the Magnuson Warranty Act, yes I said that the speakers wouldn't cause the radio to suddenly stop working, yes I asked to speak to the service manager who of course wasn't there and won't be back until Monday!!!

I've talked to GM and they can't do anything until Tuesday since the service manager won't be there. So my HHR is with no sound no for at least a week.

Needed to vent...this sucks!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

You should go there and kick the tech in the balls. It won't solve anything but it might make you feel better.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM

F**K. SUCKS! I would feel the same way.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM

I am so angry!

I was on the phone with GM for 30 minutes and just got a call from their service department customer service. I guess they have a dept. that call people after their car has been in the service dept to make sure everything was taken care of. She had no idea what she was in for!

So at least now I've got two different complaints filed!

I want to drive my car!! Yeah, I could drive it anyway but I need music to keep all the voices in my head quiet!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Actually, changing the speakers CAN cause the radio to stop working if one of the wires got chafed and is grounding, the wires are touching each other, or if the connector on the back of the speaker or tinsel lead is grounding out. This would also cause their scan tool to read a short in the radio system, because IT IS a short.

I would suggest checking the new speakers and the wiring to make sure this is not the culprit. I ran into this all the time when I was in the audio business. We would instal a new headunit and the customer would turn around and try to save money by installing their own speakers, then come in and insist the new HU must be bad because it stopped playing. More often than not we would find a shorted speaker wire and the customer didn't understand why we wanted to charge them to work on it....

Oh yeah, one other thing. I find it unlikely that tightening or loosening the antenna base could cause the radio's output to shut off. All I could see that doing is affecting the reception if a wire was pinched or if the two leads were shorted together. A more likely scenario would be if you had a grounding/shorted speaker wire when you got in the roof to loosen the base a shift in weight moved the wire just enough to eliminate the short. Therefore, it was just a coincidence. You could also try open and closing the doors one at a time with the radio on to see if that makes the radio magically work again. If that works, you will also be able to narrow down which door to look in.

again, just speaking from experience. I hope you find the culprit.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by crazybob
Actually, changing the speakers CAN cause the radio to stop working if one of the wires got chafed and is grounding, the wires are touching each other, or if the connector on the back of the speaker or tinsel lead is grounding out. This would also cause their scan tool to read a short in the radio system, because IT IS a short.

I would suggest checking the new speakers and the wiring to make sure this is not the culprit. I ran into this all the time when I was in the audio business. We would instal a new headunit and the customer would turn around and try to save money by installing their own speakers, then come in and insist the new HU must be bad because it stopped playing. More often than not we would find a shorted speaker wire and the customer didn't understand why we wanted to charge them to work on it....

Oh yeah, one other thing. I find it unlikely that tightening or loosening the antenna base could cause the radio's output to shut off. All I could see that doing is affecting the reception if a wire was pinched or if the two leads were shorted together. A more likely scenario would be if you had a grounding/shorted speaker wire when you got in the roof to loosen the base a shift in weight moved the wire just enough to eliminate the short. Therefore, it was just a coincidence. You could also try open and closing the doors one at a time with the radio on to see if that makes the radio magically work again. If that works, you will also be able to narrow down which door to look in.

again, just speaking from experience. I hope you find the culprit.
Point well taken.

Couple things though, had speakers installed professionally over 4 months ago with no problems. This first happened when I changed out antenna base. Loosened the base and radio worked again. Its also not a typicle antenna base. It has one coneection similar to a normal antenna connention, just much smaller. But it also has a wiring harness that comes off of it. This is what make me think that there is some sort of ground. Especially when the two times is stopped working was when the antenna base was tightened.

I've done audio work in the past too and have never seen anything like this before. GM did a bunch of new stuff in 2006 on the HHR with the audio. And the harness is what really makes me think that they used it for a ground. Just think about how they grounded the battery-to a painted surface!

All I'm saying is that the audio system is very different than most.

Thanks crazybob if it comes down to it I guess I'll pull the speakers just don't think that's the problem! Please keep the suggestions coming though.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:45 AM

No problem. Troubleshooting in this manner IS a bit harder. Try shaking the doors a bit. Can't hurt.

Let us all know what u find.

EDIT: Pros make mistakes, too. A good shop should be willing to check their work at no charge. Wouldn't hurt to ask the place that installed the new speaks to take a peek also.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM

This is the latest.....

Talked to the service manager today. He says that since my speakers are 4 ohm and the HU/factory spearkers were 2 ohm, the new speakes are causing all the problems and that can't find the problem without having the factory speakers.

I know we've got a lot of audio experience here.....is he talking crap or is there something to this?

Can replcing 2 ohm speakers with 4s cause problems?

He's going to set up a meeting with the GM guy and me to discuss the situation.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:22 PM

I think that somebody is pulling your chain...I worked with stereo equipment for about 6 years and I have never heard anything like that...Unless they created some head unit that can actually tell the difference between a 2 and 4 ohm speaker...NO, they haven't...The guy is probally going to tell you anything to get you to go threw them to get everything installed...It's all about the money to these people now a days...
Old 08-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by big_coop69
I think that somebody is pulling your chain...I worked with stereo equipment for about 6 years and I have never heard anything like that...Unless they created some head unit that can actually tell the difference between a 2 and 4 ohm speaker...NO, they haven't...The guy is probally going to tell you anything to get you to go threw them to get everything installed...It's all about the money to these people now a days...
They are saying that the HU can tell.

Quick Reply: A big a$$ mess!!!