Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Cabin gain/frequency response

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Premium Member

Cabin gain/frequency response

did anyone else have subs in their old vehicle, and then put then in a HHR and notice that a lot of frequencies simply hum or rattle the panels and not put out much thump?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by hhrumadbruh
did anyone else have subs in their old vehicle, and then put then in a HHR and notice that a lot of frequencies simply hum or rattle the panels and not put out much thump?
The biggest problem with HHR's is the rear hatch along with many other cars out there. If you notice your low end response is lacking its because of that. Things you can do to solve that is either try Sub facing up and port to the side and stuff or deaden that side very well. Or you can try sub up, port back and deaden that hatch the best you can. Those rear hatches are soooo weak. I just had 1 18 in mine a couple years ago, first setup in the vehicle and within 10 minutes the rear windshield assembly broke off and the metal that it was mounted to internally was completely ripped off and just dangling by the wire harness. So whatever you can do to stiffen it up. Try a couple layers of some 80mil or so deadner and jam a bunch of closed cell foam in it along with all your other panels in the rear cargo area.

Also what I did was use PL Premium Advanced on all my roof braces and any other joint of any kind that could break, and then deaden over it. That will help a whole ton. But I really wish I still had my data from all my testing, pretty much tried everything and anything you could do as far as configurations. I do know my most efficient setup I had was with the rear seat removed and had 1 18" subwoofer. The enclosure sat on the hump under the seat and was on the passenger side of the vehicle and had a 12" sonotube as a port tuned to roughly 39hz. 148.6 on 600 and some odd watts right out the gates. The only downside was that system had about a 10hz passband so music wasn't exactly enjoyable by any means. But all in all.. get some deadner and closed cell foam in that turd.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
The biggest problem with HHR's is the rear hatch along with many other cars out there. If you notice your low end response is lacking its because of that. Things you can do to solve that is either try Sub facing up and port to the side and stuff or deaden that side very well. Or you can try sub up, port back and deaden that hatch the best you can. Those rear hatches are soooo weak. I just had 1 18 in mine a couple years ago, first setup in the vehicle and within 10 minutes the rear windshield assembly broke off and the metal that it was mounted to internally was completely ripped off and just dangling by the wire harness. So whatever you can do to stiffen it up. Try a couple layers of some 80mil or so deadner and jam a bunch of closed cell foam in it along with all your other panels in the rear cargo area.

Also what I did was use PL Premium Advanced on all my roof braces and any other joint of any kind that could break, and then deaden over it. That will help a whole ton. But I really wish I still had my data from all my testing, pretty much tried everything and anything you could do as far as configurations. I do know my most efficient setup I had was with the rear seat removed and had 1 18" subwoofer. The enclosure sat on the hump under the seat and was on the passenger side of the vehicle and had a 12" sonotube as a port tuned to roughly 39hz. 148.6 on 600 and some odd watts right out the gates. The only downside was that system had about a 10hz passband so music wasn't exactly enjoyable by any means. But all in all.. get some deadner and closed cell foam in that turd.
Not the low end.

Just certain frequencies. kanye west - lambo mercy and kinfolk kia shine - krispy are 2 of the biggest culprits that I can think of off the top of my head.

Low end is great. 25-50hz and maybe a little higher. I think the higher ranges are the ones that are the problems.

let me open up those songs in audacity and find out their frequencies real quick.

I might run a tone generator on my ipod via ipod cable to my head unit to see what exact frequencies are causing it.

I thought it was because of the recessed spare tire area, which is also just flimsy sheet metal, vs the sound deadened material of my previous SUV for the differential.

I don't want to get more bass if things are going to break. It's too nice of a car.

edit: lambo mercy is 51hz and box is tuned to 35hz.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:16 PM

Interesting Thread~Re Use of Subs

Hello All,

I just installed a small set of JBL Music 1 Subs and an Amp that fit behind the seats of my Panel. This is probably the 5th or 6th car I've put them in. Since I'm just setting up the system I can state for sure that they have never sound better.

They are performing well beyond my expectations. This may be due to the proximity of the Cargo Box acting as a bit of a wall if you will. The ports are facing up so they are in effects blowing sound into my butt.

I have a Real Time Analyzer and will take some readings with it as this weekend I will change out the front door speakers and do some preliminary sound deadening.

HHRs seem to lend themselves well where audio is concerned. However, since my ride is a Panel I need only to concentrate on the Audio where the Driver's area is. This makes setup of the system a bit easier.

Cheers/BunglerHHr
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 AM

bungler HHR pics of this setup please.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 PM

zap-man~ Here's a couple of Pics of the Music 1 s. I am right at the moment working on the install but this should give you an idea of how these can fit in the area behind the seats.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BunglerHHr
Hello All,

I just installed a small set of JBL Music 1 Subs and an Amp that fit behind the seats of my Panel. This is probably the 5th or 6th car I've put them in. Since I'm just setting up the system I can state for sure that they have never sound better.

They are performing well beyond my expectations. This may be due to the proximity of the Cargo Box acting as a bit of a wall if you will. The ports are facing up so they are in effects blowing sound into my butt.

I have a Real Time Analyzer and will take some readings with it as this weekend I will change out the front door speakers and do some preliminary sound deadening.

HHRs seem to lend themselves well where audio is concerned. However, since my ride is a Panel I need only to concentrate on the Audio where the Driver's area is. This makes setup of the system a bit easier.

Cheers/BunglerHHr
Is there a reason you chose those speakers to put inside a car?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 AM

@ hhrumadbruh

There are quite a few reasons:

I have used this set in approx 5 cars previously.
I didn't want subs that would require sacrifice where any space was concerned
They perform well beyond their apparent size
As I mentioned initially their placement and proximity to the Driver and Passenger position provides excellent response.
They are true stereo subs.
They also don't require a particularly large amp to provide a good balance against the stock radio that I currently have.
In total I can achieve a system that is musically accurate as I am a Bass Player and Audio Recordists and utilize RTAs ect to create a Flat system response so I can check mixes.
Lastly because they are not large I can still add other components if I feel the need.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

ok I took the hatch cover off

I'm about to put some peel and seal in as much metal as I can

would it help to put some on the plastic as well?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM

Did you put some on the plastic panel? Did it help? I was thinking of screwing a piece of 3/4 mdf to the back of the plastic panel then carpeting over the entire thing to hide the screw holes. I can't stand the rattling.

Quick Reply: Cabin gain/frequency response