Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

can't Vin unlock radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Back when I was having stereo problems I bought two from vendors on eBay. My local Chevrolet Dealership was unable to get either to work in my car.

I e-mailed GM asking if I needed a HHR specific stereo and they e-mailed me back saying the dealership should have been able to flash any of the family of stereos that were installed in several different GM vehicles like the Saturn or Cobalt and make it work in my HHR.

I ended up with one that the dealer lost the VIN number after failing to get it to work and one that is supposed to be a 6 disk changer like my original stereo, I still have both of them under the kitchen cupboard. I have no clue what I might ever end up doing with them but I might just take the one with no VIN number apart and see if I can somehow get it to just work and play for me.

Every now and then I search the web to see if anyone else in the world has had success.

I ended up finally figuring out that my whole problem was the speakers in my HHR had gone bad, replacing them 'fixed' everything.
Try pulling the security chip

Old 11-18-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by pdmorris1
Took everyone's advice on here and took my car to a different Chevy dealership today. They had no problem unlocking my radio. It works great. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
I may have to replace the radio in my HHR since I'm only getting sound through the tweeters. Speakers only seem to work in warmer temps certain times of the day. Which dealer did you take it to that was able to correctly flash it? Im in Michigan too.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:05 PM

Replace the speakers. Very, very common issue.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jerry Butler
I may have to replace the radio in my HHR since I'm only getting sound through the tweeters. Speakers only seem to work in warmer temps certain times of the day. Which dealer did you take it to that was able to correctly flash it? Im in Michigan too.
That's a classic sign of bad speakers, NOT a bad radio. There are many threads and posts over the years describing the same issue. It's almost always the speakers because they become corroded from water intrusion.
There were several members who replaced the radio only to find it was the speakers that were bad.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 AM

2008 LS radio or speakers

my troubles the radio works only on the LF channel and the RR just a very low volume on the RF if it is isolated and volume maxed out.

Additionally the Fm on either band goes out at times usually on longer trips. The Am still functions as does the CD / AUX plug and play but still only the speakers previously mentioned. So I am inclined to think a radio is my troubles more than speakers. Once since I did my diagnosis the right front came on for a time sounding ok.

I have access to used radios but without TECH II access to unlock vin they're unusable as I understand on other threads? Thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Go to Crutchfield’s and order a new radio HU and speakers, they have a comprehensive list of what fits your HHR and the adaptors and any mounting hardware or brackets. You can decide on what features you want and keep within your budget.
You will have to order harness adapters to keep your alarms and signal sounds.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:03 PM

There are several ways around the Tech2 option.
remove the chip.https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...w-radio-49106/
replace the chip.
erase the chip with a $10 tool. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audi...ios-uui-63688/
Old 11-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Thanks to donbrew and oldblue

For all you do. I wasn't clear on the various ways to get a used radio to operate using the various methods.
Now I am an appreciate the help and effort provided.
For me used parts make the most sense ($cents)
I'd like to say I could cure all the electrical gremlins easily, but tackle one at a time. (TPMS, remote entry, door chime, radio...)

Good day
Old 12-18-2021, 06:58 PM

unlocking junk yard radio replacement

Hey guys. My 1st question is: Has anyone seen the YouTube video on how to unlock the OEM CD radio in an HHR by unhooking the 2 pc harness in the back of the until it comes on? Looks to simple .
Anyway this is my first HHR (2007) and by reading some of the post's on here about the locked radio's, keyless lock pads, no key in switch chime or lights on and yada yada about this radio and the security system!
Wow ! do I need to be a rocket scientist to install a basic pioneer super tuner (I know, things have changed, just told my age LOL) in my HHR and screw the chimes or will i burn it down trying? Im just trying to unlock the replacement radio with supplied VIN # without paying a dealership or setting it on fire. I don't have a problem going to a dealership, it just seems like CAN IT BE THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT? now i feel better. lmao
Thx for the shoulder and help!
Old 12-18-2021, 08:27 PM

Easiest way is to go to a GM dealership. If you are electronically handy you can remove the chip or erase it with a chip programmer.
Basically, if the chip in the radio is blank it gets automatically programmed when installed, if there is no chip it doesn't need programming because of the way it works. If it is a used radio the chip is matched to the donor BCM and needs to be erased and rematched.
I'm pretty sure all of the "simple" internet ways are bogus.

Quick Reply: can't Vin unlock radio