Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
RFT

fiberglass

I have built quite a few boxes/kick panels/etc with MDF or Birch and am thinking of using fiberglass for a final box/amp rack. I am it has a tendency to flex in straight lengths. However I don't know at what area or dimension ratio do I need to start worrying about it?

I plan on replacing the two drawer bins (non panel), tub and cover over the spare tire with this setup and trying to keep weight down. The tub and cover is where I'm planning on putting my amp/xover/etc so this could be made out of a plastic.

Are there better materials that could used for this? It's been a while since I was actively involved in mobile audio and not sure how materials have changed.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 PM
ecl

Check out fiberglassforums.com they have lots of info for using fiberglass for all sorts of things from mild to wild.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:45 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by ecl
Check out fiberglassforums.com they have lots of info for using fiberglass for all sorts of things from mild to wild.
Thanks, for the link and maybe they will have something. I have an idea what I want to do, but I don't know if fiberglass is the best material or if there is something better.

I've heard of horror stories of people trying to span flat distances with 'glass and don't want to spend the energy if it will just flex all the time. Do you know are there newer/better materials out there that can be worked at home?

Thanks again!
Rob
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM
ecl

Honestly you could use the fiberglass with out any trouble, as far as I know, just add some bracing if your truely worried about it flexing.