Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Free XM Expired -- What Happens Next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Free XM Expired -- What Happens Next?

My free 90 day XM subscription for my 2010 HHR ran out today -- I can only get the XM Preview Loop.

For anyone who has gone through this will XM contact me now to try to sell a subscription? I would like to leverage the decision to get the lower price deal I see discussed on our forum.

I have one other twist in that I have a current subscription for an XM radio in the car I got rid of before I bought the HHR (Toyota Matrix sold to my daughter). My option is to move that subcription (about $13 per month) from the Toyota radio to the HHR, cancel that one and see if they offer me a deal, or wait and see what they offer on the HHR and then cancel the current one.

I do like the XM for several programs so it is a value for me to keep.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM

I have a friend who got the XM free with his Cobalt. He never renewed the subscription, but still has XM. They send him reminders and a bill, which he ignors waiting for them to cut of the XM. It has been more than a year.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM

XM and Sirius are together now and Sirius still sends me renew offers 4 years later. I doubt that XM will let you off the hook and I'm surprised they haven't contacted you yet, but you can contact them online. Just Google XM Radio and you will find a website and phone numbers.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Mine expired and I never hear word one from them so I guess they didn't care enough to make a sale so I never reupped (is that a word?) my subscription. I did like it though.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 PM

I was contacted by XM before mine expired. I have a renewal notice in front of me right now for my second year.

Randy
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
My free 90 day XM subscription for my 2010 HHR ran out today -- I can only get the XM Preview Loop.

For anyone who has gone through this will XM contact me now to try to sell a subscription? I would like to leverage the decision to get the lower price deal I see discussed on our forum.

I have one other twist in that I have a current subscription for an XM radio in the car I got rid of before I bought the HHR (Toyota Matrix sold to my daughter). My option is to move that subcription (about $13 per month) from the Toyota radio to the HHR, cancel that one and see if they offer me a deal, or wait and see what they offer on the HHR and then cancel the current one.

I do like the XM for several programs so it is a value for me to keep.
XM will keep your radio on and send you bills. Make sure you call and cancel immediately.

I don't drive my car in winter and put it away just as the free 3 months expired. I cancelled because I thought their price was too high and XM Radio has too many dead spots where I live. Very poor coverage, but when it worked I really liked it!! Great channels!! But that cancellation didn't seem to catch on with XM, so I had no idea that they were charging me for a radio that I didn't use anyway.

They wanted their $50 (or so) after I called to tell them to stop sending me bills. THey said it was going to go to a collection agency, blah, blah, blah... THey were very rude. Told me that I had the radio still activated for 3 months, so I should have known that it wasn't cancelled. I explained that the car was put away for the winter and they could go stuff themselves. They wouldn't get a penny.

Then a couple days later a "manager" called me and agreed to cut the bill in half... I said they could reduce it to 10 cents and they still wouldn't get a payment of any sort from me. I had cancelled months ago.

I haven't heard from them since.
I'll never buy anything from that company.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I have a friend who got the XM free with his Cobalt. He never renewed the subscription, but still has XM. They send him reminders and a bill, which he ignors waiting for them to cut of the XM. It has been more than a year.
when i called to set up my free trail they said that if i did not cancel my subscription that they would just start billing me. not saying anything is accepting continuation of the service, which is normally standard practice for free trials. i just signed up for a netflix free trial with the same deal. so unless your friend specifically told them to cancel his subscription, he probably owes them whatever is on the bill.

also, if you give them your credit card number, they start automatically billing you once the trial is over.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Founding Member

There is another 800 number to call to get a discount, I have used it twice. A forum search revealed this:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/xm-%2488-year-your-second-year-25988/
Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM

They have a "save" department that you can negotiate with. After spending about 40 minutes on the phone and talking to several people I did not come away with a positive feeling about XM/Sirius. But I use and like the product so took the 5 month free offer, although it means having to call back and cancel or they automatically re-up on my charge card. It is just the price to pay with dealing with companies these days. You have to fight and negotiate.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM

The company car has XM, only advantage I saw was not having to search radio stations while on the road. I have a bigger and more varied playlist on my iPod than any radio station, and it's ALL stuff I like.
I just jack it into the aux input, and all is good.

Quick Reply: Free XM Expired -- What Happens Next?