Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

getting rid of upgraded pioneer system

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM

getting rid of upgraded pioneer system

ok I just recieved 2 Rockford Fosgate p4004 amp and will be replacing all door speakers and maybe tweeters now I really do not want to put sub box into the back would perfer to replace sub speaker in the original location with an upgraded sub any ideas for configuring of amps and speaker would be greatly appreciated . as with most things more imput can give better ideas .
Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Limited space in sub box.....use a shallow dual voice coil sub, 8", poly fill the inside and sound deaden the outside...amp can be spliced into existing wires on existing amp...there is a thread on this here....really limited not using a box.....have to read thru all the installs here to m get a good idea,,,theres not alot of choices, or simple installs AND keeping it clean......better to run a single multi channel amp, some good ones out there now...
Old 12-25-2009, 11:42 PM

I am in the process of changing out my stereo, so far I have replaced the door speakers and used damplifier sound deadning material. Then took the factory sub box out split it in half since it is two pieces with a gasket sandwiched between. From there I used more damplifier inside then attached polyfill using spray adhesive. I then bolted the two pieces back together with the gasket and completely covered the outside with more sound deadning material. For a woofer I used like many others the Kicker CVT shallow mount sub. I did not need to replace the factory grill, but decied to cut out the center and attach speaker cloth. Looks nicer than factory. As far as the sound I have it hooked up to a Kenwood KAC-8104D amp giving it 300w @4ohm and it overpowers the sub with certain songs bottoming out the cone. It does sound much better than the factory sub, but I already want more bass. I'm guessing if you just replaced the sub without adding any other materials such as polyfill or sound deadning material, it would sound even worse, as the gastet that seals both sides of the box is really small. Also make sure to seal the hole in the back of the box where the factory sub bolts to the enclosure.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

maybe a sub box made out of the spare tire area???lots of room if u dont mind losin the spare..12 inch sub fit really nice...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 AM

I have my 2 12's box mounted on top of my spare tire. I only lost 2 inches of floor room. The amp is mounted to the back of the box on a shelf.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:13 PM

I was able to fit a 8 inch JL sub in the stock location using a small spacer. I highly recommend taking the box out and deadening it though. The sub "box" is made out of real thin plastic. I was able to get clean sound by running 2 amps 1 for the door speakers and 1 for the sub. I also coated all the doors and rear section with second skin.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Definitly sound deaden the whole car for best results.. Ive done everything except floors and I gotta say, its worth the work, Only changed out the front door speakers and it sounds like I have changed everything.Only thing I don't like is having to drive the stock system so hard for some decent volume.That will change soon....
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Any advice on what size and make door speakers people have used and remember I will be using 2 Rockford Fosgate P4004 amp and I am now leaning towards a box that will be just below the top cargo shelf so it will be hidden if need be and still able to to use for storage if need be ?

Last edited by wildman1122; 01-06-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-06-2010, 08:26 PM

A lot of people have used infinity referances...6020 and 6022's front and rear, but there are plenty of other makes too....its all a personal preference...best way is to "hear" what
others have done to get a feel for the sound characteristics of this car, because what "you" hear may not be the same as the next guy.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 AM

For door speakers your best bet is to go to a local installer and listen to some. That will give you some idea of what is out there and how much it will cost you.

Quick Reply: getting rid of upgraded pioneer system