Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Got my steering wheel radio controls!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Change out the steering wheel all will be fine!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by n0m0n
Thank you for replying
So it's the main connector behind the wheel so the wheel does have to come off?
I purchased a Cobalt wheel and am getting ready to start this in a few days.
My concern is since I'm trying to replace my stock 2008 LS wheel the wiring down the column won't be there. I have the stock non pioneer system in my hhr.
So I'm not sure what to do if there isn't any connector, harness or any wiring for the radio controls.
My plan was to install the wheel get a after market unit.
Crutchfield told me I'd need a radio button conversion module.
But I'm totally blind since I haven't taken the wheel off yet.

Thanks
I have a 2009 LS and changed mine with no problem. The wiring is there for you to make the connection to your new(to you) wheel.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
I will be installing the wheel next week when it gets a little warm here.

My mechanic tells me that I need to disconnect the positive battery term in the rear of the vehicle for 15 minutes before starting in respect to removing the AB (think that was shared here).
But he also feels that I shouldn't waste my time because he doesn't feel it'll work.
He's a Chevy only guy.
I think thats why Im so hesitant and where my concerns stem from.

If the LED colors in the radio/cruise contols are not the same as the dash what should I look for to correct it?
I thought I read that switching some wires changes the LED colors, but it wasn't detailed.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable first. If you try to disconnect the positive first, you run the risk of grounding out the battery and frying some of the cars electronics.

You may want to talk to your "mechanic" again.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable first. If you try to disconnect the positive first, you run the risk of grounding out the battery and frying some of the cars electronics.

You may want to talk to your "mechanic" again.
Ok let me reclarify he said discnnect the battery I said positive because the car is gounded via metal.

Im just starting at auto customizing.

Thanks for ALL the direction.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

And that's why you always disconnect the ground 1st on a DC volt system. If it's not grounded, then you lessen the chance of an "oops" mistake if you were to ground out the positive side by accident.

Fwiw. Since you're new to customizing as you said, I would strongly advise you to not mess around with an airbag system. They can be very dangerous and even cause death if not handled properly.
Since it sounds like you have neither the training or experience with SRS's, leave it to the pros.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:18 PM

The wheel will work. All wiring is there. I did the Cobalt wheel conversion on my 08 Panel with zero problems. Not sure about the light color change. Mine matched the stock colors.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM

Why won't you read the How-To thread?
Old 09-26-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_style
I just recieved my leather wrapped SS Cobalt steering wheel last nite

I like the smaller diameter. I lined up the bottom edge of each wheel & took this pic:

I wrapped a tape measure around each wheel & the 'Balt wheel is approx 2.5" smaller O.D. (28-stock, 26.5" 'balt).
I wanted the smaller OD mostly (& the leather) but the radio controls will be a welcome addition

I bought it off eBay for $104. total (free ship). I wanted black leather & they had two listed. A 2006 model & a 2008 model. The pictures they gave were generic so I didn't know what they looked like or if they came with all buttons etc. I chose the 2008 model but I think I got the '06 wheel because the buttons are lower profile than my '07:

But the wheel is fresh looking. Hardly a scratch on it. The leather is in excellent condition:

I didn't have the guts to try the install last night. I'll probably tackle the job this weekend so I have time to work it out. I'll post up install pics when I'm finished. Wish me luck!
hi bro I want to upgrade my steering wheel as well. I have a 2006 Chevy HHR LT 2.4L, I want to now if I just have to buy a new steering wheel with radio control and cruise control and install it and that is? please let me know.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Administrator

It worked for me!

Quick Reply: Got my steering wheel radio controls!