Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Grounding

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Grounding

I was looking at the ground on the HHR and I'm wondering how a car manufacture such as chevy that has been making cars for many years could come up with such a stupid ground. I didn't unbolt it yet, but it looks like it's not even grounded to bare metal. I figure since so many on here have noise problems because of grounding I'm just going to eliminate the whole stock ground and make my own.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Which ground... the one from the battery?

I would just grind/sand off the paint from it, if you don't want to do a lot of work lol...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
Which ground... the one from the battery?

I would just grind/sand off the paint from it, if you don't want to do a lot of work lol...
not quite the right attitude my friend. i ran 1/0 to a new ground, but have not had anytime to run a new engine and alternator.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhiplashHHR
I was looking at the ground on the HHR and I'm wondering how a car manufacture such as chevy that has been making cars for many years could come up with such a stupid ground. I didn't unbolt it yet, but it looks like it's not even grounded to bare metal. I figure since so many on here have noise problems because of grounding I'm just going to eliminate the whole stock ground and make my own.
The battery ground is grounded to bare metal. I have taken it off to check. It is perfectly fine where it's at.

Are you trying to ground your amplifier where the battery ground is located? VERY bad idea. If you want a good ground I was able to locate one in the center of the cargo area under all of that plastic and close to the rear latch anchor. I just did a little grinding to the paint then used a nut, bolt, and washer to secure my ground.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Well I ran 4 gauge wire to bare metal on the tire well and not using the factory ground anymore. My amp is grounded to a bolt that I used first as a temporary ground point just to get my system running. This ground worked well so I decided to keep that as my amp ground. My RCA's are ran down the passanger side and come across just behind the rear seat and cross the factory power wire on a 90*. I have no noise in my system using a stinger line convertor, also grounded. Another nice thing was the volume controll I added for the sub. Everything works great!