Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Hardwire GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
ecl

Hardwire GPS

Ive been trying to hardwire my gps into the car and got a hardwire kit but im not sure were/ how to go about tapping into the cars wires. Im wanting it to turn on/off when I turn the car on/off. I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwir...7809233&sr=1-2 to hardwire it in but just not sure were where to wire it. I thought about tapping a fuse but how would I do that with this set up? I have read through this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/hardwired-gps-19300/ however it doesnt explain how to use this kind of hardwire kit.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:44 PM
ecl

no one?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM

If you want your gps to be hardwired in and turn on (or at least only powered) when the car is on, you need to tap the accessory wire under the steering column. It is a brown wire coming off of the ignition switch. Make sure you test for polarity before you just go using a wire. It should read 12V (+) when the car is tripped forward in accesory position and temporarily turn off then back on when car is started.

Ground can be done to interior metal that is in contact with the frame.

This information is given with the assumption that you have some idea what you are doing becasue the HHR is a data vehicle and you can screw stuff up otherwise. DO NOT TURN YOUR KEY IN THE IGNITION WITHOUT ALL MOLEX PLUGS HOOKED BACK UP ON THE RADIO SURROUND!!! YOU WILL THROW CODES!!! I accept no responsibility for the outcome of your audio/video endeavour.

Happy Hunting!
Dave Hawkins