Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Head Unit Compatible with Existing XM

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Head Unit Compatible with Existing XM

I was wanting to install a new HU in my 2009 LT, but have come across a problem with the XM. I emailed Crutchfailed and asked them about a unit that would connect to my existing XM tuner. They said that nothing they have in stock will do this, and that I would have to purchase a different XM tuner to use.

Does anyone know of a Head Unit Make/Model that will interface with the stock XM tuner.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 AM

Not to my knowledge. Im pretty sure no matter what brand and model you still have to buy a XM interface adapter.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 AM
Deceased

X2

HHR's have a unique audio system, some would say it's kinda goofy, but you'll need an "Adapt 'O Gadget" to do what you have in mind.

P.S. to the forum!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Technical Moderator

The good news is : there seems to be a market for used XM/Sirius units.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 PM

It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into an upgrade so you might was well do what I did on my last two vehicles.....get a new head unit. I went with the Pioneer X950BH model that has GPS, video replay, USB connectivity and an input for extras such as an add on module like you'll need. I talked to the owner of the shop near Imperial Beach CA I deal with and he said no one makes a unit with that built in but it can be added. I have a post of all the stuff I had to get when I installed mine but did not want XM radio.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 PM

oldracer-do you happen to remember how deep the head unit cavity is.
You're right, I am looking to upgrade. Not sure what head unit depth will fit into the hole. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM

About six and three quarter inches. Tight fit back there compared to most cars. If your head unit doesn't fit alot of us here trimmed the plastic in the back of the h.u area. Just be careful of wires and such behind there.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM

You can cut the plastic in the back to give you more depth, thus giving you way more options. If you get a HU that is xm compatibale, get an 10 foot antenna extender to use OE antenna. The XM receiver is a small box that will fits behine the unit.
Hope this helps
Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 PM

You can cut the back out of the plastic area where the head unit sits. I also had to cut some around the left side are so the "black boxes" would fit in with no stresses on any wire connections. That is pretty important as the system can end up having problems if connections are stressed.

I used a "hot knife" to but mine but a small solder iron or gun with a cutting tip can be used, just be very careful to not hit any wires.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the great info and tips. Now it's time to decide on a HU.

Does anybody know what gauge wire is going to the door speakers? My HHR came with the non-Pioneer audio system, and I am going to include new speakers and an amp in my upgrade. Is it necessary to run a smaller gauge of speaker wires for a 120W per channel amp?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Compatible with Existing XM