Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

HHR Noise & Vibration Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Wow, that is a ton of work! but now that I think about it, when its time to replace the floor carpet this is in my future. Nice work
Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Wow, that is a ton of work! but now that I think about it, when its time to replace the floor carpet this is in my future. Nice work
Thanks, it is alot of work, but the rewards are plenty.

You can do it with a 25%-50% coverage and get Main areas, like the Flat Roof and the Inside of your doors then the inside door itself and get pretty decent results. Then the floor areas.

I decided to do in the 80%-90% range and some areas ended up getting a full 100% coverage.
I am no expert on this stuff, I just did alot of reading up on it and am doing what I feel will give me the most for my money.

You won't be sorry doing it at all, the more extreme you go, the Better the end results.
I guess I'd be somewhere in the middle on a project like this.

I was gutting the interior for my audio/video install and at the same time wanted the headliner out to recover it so the work mainly is in the install of the audio barrier itself.

Roll out any bubbles you want 100% to be adhered, air bubbles and loose areas are not effective. It Must be down and rolled well.

The Kits I bought actually come with a decent roller, plus I used some of the tools from a 6 piece plastic trim removal kit and they helped out alot getting the stuff stuck down good and tight.

You WANT to conform in Into every nook and cranny, hump or depression in the metal. Do NOT just lay it Over a recessed area bridging over it, it MUST follow down into the recessed area Fully adheared for the maximum effect.

Thats what takes all the time, getting it fit like a second skin.

I wish this Heat would let up to get this project done, dying to hear my system.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Continuing on here.

I tore the 4 door panels off and got started on sound deadening them.

The interior body, roof, and complete floor front to back are Done.

A few pics for those interested in my little sound project.

Name:  0ac3d5c2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  f1dd4308.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  ccf3f354.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  ef526618.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  a1de3928.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  f9ff8fd8.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  f217cd16.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  55da1587.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  fe0eab7e.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Rest In Peace

Previous pics were the Front doors. I started on the drivers door then moved to the rear door, I then went to the other side and started the passenger side rear door first.

The front door was a Biotch with the smaller openings and the window tracks in the way.

The rear doors, on the Panel at least are a Breeze to do inside. No window tracks in the way and the openings are larger.

I have the inside of the front passengers side left to do.

Then cover the doors on the inner side facing the backs of the door panels.

IF the rain holds off some, supposed to rain the next 3 days and be in the 90's, I should have it all Done tomorrow if I get a few dry hours in on it!

FINALLY !

Install of the Stage 3 stuff is set up for Sunday. (fingers are Crossed)

Orangewhip is coming over to lend a hand wiring it all up.
I already got the Case of Coors light you wanted in the fridge here for you Brandon.
I don't drink so it's all yours.

Then as I start putting the interior panels back in I will use some sound barrier on the backs of some until I run out at least.

A few pics of the back doors.

Name:  4d2f8095.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  ab9ad7bb.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  b1d6f8d8.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  c39c6fc9.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  51.2 KB

BIG Difference in the sound of the doors with it versus the one door left without any installed yet.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM

This is awesome !!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Rest In Peace

Orangewhip stopped by my house today, he dropped off a 5 gallon can of the Landau top and Trim HHR contact cement. (Yes it says "HHR" on the can.)

Told me to use whatever I need, we traded, I gave him a Case of Coors Light in exchange. His brand request, I don't drink.

He looked over my HHR and my sound proofing install going on, and I think he was Very Impressed with it. He installs audio and video in his shop.

Turns out after talking for a few minutes after he arrived, I worked with his Father in the Trades, in fact we worked at the same shops several times. Same Trade we did.

We had some wild times after work his dad and I.

We are set to either start the wiring Friday evening or do it all on Sunday.

I'd like to get started ASAP, once we run the wires, I can get my carpet back in.

So this evening I am working on my doors some more, after finishing the last one on the inside, I started making these Fill In Pieces.

The doors each have 2 large access holes to work inside them, Not real good for Audio sound control.

I made these fills and will install them and then cover the inside of the doors with the Audio Barrier.

The fills are made of a double walled corrogated plastic, like a plastic cardboard.

These should help the speakers sound even better.

Keep in mind, another layer of the sound barrier goes over this.

Pics before I add that and cover it all up.

Name:  41213bcb.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  34475bdf.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  70b1dc82.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  38.1 KB

Getting Close to Rockin N Rollin here.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by sincfiles
This is awesome !!
Thanks.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Those panels are gonna work great, Scott!!! Just don't put them in until after we get the speaker wires into the doors. I picked up a spool of wire, and some power/ground tonight. I'll have everything by Friday, I hope. So I can get a good start on that thing.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by OrangeWhip
Those panels are gonna work great, Scott!!! Just don't put them in until after we get the speaker wires into the doors. I picked up a spool of wire, and some power/ground tonight. I'll have everything by Friday, I hope. So I can get a good start on that thing.
Nope, they won't go in place until your done with the wiring, just wanted to get them made and ready.

Can you tell I am EAGER to get this Done?

I am so ready to get this system hooked up after all this sound proofing.

BIG Differance in how our roofs sound though aint it? Well worth the effort.

They are calling for thunderstorms, but it held off all day today, starting now tho. Hopefully Friday evening is dry.

Saturday & Sunday are supposed to be Nice out.

I am soooo Ready for this install.

Hows the Coors light going down tonight?

See you on Friday, Hopefully.

And Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 PM

The Coors Light's great. I went home, and started gutting my car for more dynamat. Now the rain is impeding the progress. I'm gungho to get my build back in action as well, now that I have the car again.

This rain is a killer. Worst comes to worst, I can stay at the shop until the wee morning hours if needed, and we can bring the car out there. I just have got to make some room.

Like I said man, I'm all about the helping out.

Quick Reply: HHR Noise & Vibration Reduction