Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

How do I run an aftermarket amp with factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:42 PM

I have not pulled out my amp yet, but either spealer wires or RCA jacks are coming from the factory head unit. If they are RCA, you can get a Y connector from stereo store or Radio Shack and feed it into the new amp. Then, hook up power, ground, and trigger lines, then the speaker wires to the sub box.

If there are only wires feeding the factory amp, then using the wiring diagram on this forum, find the proper ones for the sub and hook them up to a line level converter. This converts the regular wire into RCA wire that can be plugged into your amp. But there is a loss of quality with this method.
(Plus, I once used a converter that had a short in it and I blew up my radio.)
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Banned

The factory system does not have RCAs. You have to tap the wires whatever way you feel comfortable with. I suggest a converter as well as many others will but if you feel comfortable connecting the the RCAs directly to the stereo wiring go for it, it's your ride.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:58 PM

so by using a line level converter coming from the wires off the amp that go to the sub it will disable the factory sub and send the signal through the converter allowing me to be able to hook up RCA cables to from the converter to the amp....Am i right about this? if so it sounds easy enough.....
Old 05-07-2006, 02:06 PM

also im just wanting to add the amp for the subs...i want to use the factory amp for the factory speakers.....so can someone tell me a good converter to use?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slamed87lincoln
so by using a line level converter coming from the wires off the amp that go to the sub it will disable the factory sub and send the signal through the converter allowing me to be able to hook up RCA cables to from the converter to the amp....Am i right about this? if so it sounds easy enough.....
Yup. That's what I am doing today. It's nice out so I am finally installing my sub amp.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:17 PM

would this one work? ir is it to much? it looks like all the factory wires go to one side...then back through it to the amp..with the RCA pre outs in there allowing me to connect the RCAs from there to the amp....

is that what i need or do i need one from this page http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm if so what one would work best for the HHR...i dont want to cut the factory wires if i dont have to...only the wires for the sub so that i can use my 12s and amp.....
Old 05-07-2006, 02:27 PM

i think im making this harder than it really is...... would this work for the converter?
http://cgi.ebay.com/STINGER-SALOC-HI...QQcmdZViewItem

looks like i just splice into the factory sub wires and run wires directly into this converter and then connect the RCAS......will this work for what im doing?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Old 05-07-2006, 10:40 PM

You seem to think the amp only powers the sub... Not true. The amp is a 5 channel unit, powering the sub, and has outputs for your four door speakers. This is where the line converter comes into play, on those outputs. Any 2 channel converter will work, the PAC unit pictured above is a four channel unit. Just make sure that the unit you choose has adjustments for gain, to avoid clipping.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tokyo
You seem to think the amp only powers the sub... Not true. The amp is a 5 channel unit, powering the sub, and has outputs for your four door speakers. This is where the line converter comes into play, on those outputs. Any 2 channel converter will work, the PAC unit pictured above is a four channel unit. Just make sure that the unit you choose has adjustments for gain, to avoid clipping.
no i know the amp powers everything....i just didnt want to mess with any of the factory wireing other than the wires that go to the amp.....So if i get a 2 channel one with gain control i just splice into say the 2 rear door speakers to get the power for the converter to convert to RCA ?

Quick Reply: How do I run an aftermarket amp with factory head unit