Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

I have a question or two

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 PM

Question I have a question or two

I have a question or two about this........

My box which was stolen had two 10's but only one connection for wires. My new box has 2 12's with a connection for each. I've got a JL 500/1 to drive them.

How should I hook em up?

Here's a link for a full-size image of the back of my amp. LINK

Here's a smaller pic...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

How many voice coils do the subs have (I'm assuming one) and how many Ohms are they?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
How many voice coils do the subs have (I'm assuming one) and how many Ohms are they?
one; 4 ohm
Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Oh yeah and which control adjust gain?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

u would use every adjustment from the "Infrasonic Filter" to the right...the bass eq is to tailor the sound and should be adjusted last. adjust the input gain first and then the xover which should be at 80Hz and below...just take your time and do it right.

as far as ohm load, the beauty of JL slash series amps is that as long as the load is anywhere from 1.5-4ohms it puts out the same power.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by quest51210
u would use every adjustment from the "Infrasonic Filter" to the right...the bass eq is to tailor the sound and should be adjusted last. adjust the input gain first and then the xover which should be at 80Hz and below...just take your time and do it right.

as far as ohm load, the beauty of JL slash series amps is that as long as the load is anywhere from 1.5-4ohms it puts out the same power.
Okay, now I'm even more confused. I thought there was a single adjustment for gain.

Looks like I need a lesson in adjusting this amp!!....
  • infrasonic filter on/off
  • infrasonic freq.
  • "Q"
  • center freq.
  • Boost(db)
  • Bass EQ on/off
  • Amp LP Filter mode/slope (off/12db/24db)
  • Filter freq.
  • Amplifier Input Section?????
I understand none of what these things do.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

on the Amplifier Input section you will run your RCA's there, the gain adjustment is the one next to the RCA's, do not turn past 3/4's of the gain. leave the input voltage to "Low" and the "signal sensing" to the off position as well.

to the immediate left of those settings you have a crossover, set it between 65 or 80 but listen to it at a decent volume. leave the "mode" switch off.

the next set is optional, you can leave them all in the "off" position, but then you are not utilizing one of the key features that seperate JL from the rest of the pack

to the left of the crossover you have a set of various EQ's you can set the "Q" factor to 1.1-1.6 for decent output. "center frequency" between 20-40, and the "boost" to whatever suits your tastes. if the box is ported you can use the "infrasonic filter" to cut off any frequency that is so low it can cause damage to subs. i would set it inbetween 22-30 for best results

the "preamp output section" does not have to be botherd with at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Think of "Q" as an area of width surrounding the frequency you choose.
The preamp parametric style Equalizer has essentially three areas of user contour,
1) The frequency chosen

2) The "Q"

3) And the amount of gain applied either positive or negative.

The "Q" simply is the amount of other frequencies surrounding the "Chosen Frequency" affected by the gain. The gain's effect on the "Q" is usually, but not always managed in a bell shaped curve. Some Equalizers allow for a change in the curve, which for Auto purposes is usually overkill. There is enough going on already with out more choices!

I had a better time recording bands with simpler equipment than all the digital wonders I bought in the '90's! Too many choices for all of us in audio these days
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

well i have installed about 100+ of these in my career, so i gave him a cliff notes on what works for a majority of vehicles.

nice write up though man
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Thanks. These forums are so cool for passing on and gaining knowledge
Your description was right on as well. I just thought a bit more on "Q" could not hurt

I'll no doubt be asking some questions too when I install the JL cleansweep, some JL amps, speakers and such. I have not done any auto stereo installs since 1989, so I'm out of touch in a lot of ways.
Debating on dual 10" down firing JLs in a custom made area surrounding the spare ( taking out the long gadget hideaways behind the passenger seat ) or just making a 10 low def fit the stock sub spot with a new fabricated panel. I want the trunk area for stuff, unfortunately.......

I'm sure Mikes/Bob's new subs are gonna make some fun noise

Quick Reply: I have a question or two