Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Lee3333...... Just a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Lee3333...... Just a question

Hello all, I am new to the forum and I like what you are trying to do to maximize your sound with out losing any of the functionality of the HHR. Just a couple of questions.

1. Why 2 subs?

2. Could your amps not fit under the driver/pass seat?

3. Carpet?

4. Could you please type "panel" and not "panal"?

Thanks and good luck.

Pip
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally I was trying to get good sound from the stock location of the subwoofer. I enlarged the opening to fit a 10 inch, lined the entire area with Dynamat extreme, and filled in the small crevices with fiberglass. I tried 4 different speakers, including one that was rated 'freeair'. Still, nothing had good, pounding bass. I figured that I would use an external sub box, then have the built in speaker for the times I needed the cargo area. Then, I found a better way. Check my post in the thread on 'Various HHR Sub Installs' to see full details.

I did not like the idea of mounting the amps under the seat for a few reasons: 1) There is a duct down there that blows hot air when the heat is turned on. 2) Wiring there is not as simple as keeping it in the back, and 3) Having them mounted the way I do on the back of the seat is great for car shows.

They take up no real space when the seat is in the normal position. And if I need to fold the seat down to carry something large, they only stick up 2 1/2 inches. If I need to, I will make a wooden box to go over them for protection.

Sorry about the spelling errors. Too lazy to use spell check, and when I usually post (late at night) too tired to realize what I am writing.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 AM

I read the post and yes that does work. From experience (depending on music preference) a tuned port facing back like that would even give you more bass. ( on average a 3 to 5 db gain aganist a hatch) You would prob have to go a little bigger on the box size as most if not all speakers need a bigger ported box than a sealed. Having been in the car audio industry for numerous years, and please don't take this personally as it is not meant to be, I would completely laugh at your stained plywood. Again, not personal, but plywood? I do see you took the time to stain it and route the edges, most wouldn't have, but with nothing else in the vehicle wood, it does not really flow. You can purchase some vynil or even carpet that compliments or matches the vehicle color, stretch it and then mount your amps, etc on it. You would pre drill holes through the wood and then make tiny slits in the carpet/vynil and could run the wires through the backside of the wood, behind the seat plastic and out the bottom of the seat for a much cleaner looking install. Again, this is my opinion, years of experience installing / selling, and judging contests. Hope this might help and good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM

I did try a ported box, and it needed to be 1.5 cu ft, so it was quite large. While the Infinity literature recommends .75 sealed, I have read that the Kappa could also use down to a .65 cu ft box. As I said before, I am getting tons of bass with this setup, and the gain is still turned way down.

I just got 4 Polk speakers for the doors-separates for the front, and full range for the back.

You are right about the stained plywood, and I have a ton of the black carpet left over and will cover it over with that (even painting the wood black would have been a better idea). Other cars I owned had wood trim, so the plywood would have worked there. But not in the HHR. Actually, I like the look of the wires (they all have crimped connectors, and are fastened down with clamps) I think it gives a more raw look, plus it is easier to service this way. Besides, I am waiting for my new sub grill to arrive, hopefully today, then I will post pictures of the carpet box. I made a bracket for hanging a few Chevy baseball caps from the back of the seat which work perfectly to hide the amplifiers, yet allow for airflow for cooling.

Last edited by Lee3333; 03-12-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Ok, Ok.

I understand you might like the "raw" look but when judges are critiquing and install "raw" is not on the judging sheet. Cleanliness of Install usually is.

Secondly I looked at your pictures, and unless I am blind, your interior is grey, right? That being said, why would you carpet anything black if you are going for a stealth or factory look.

I know that all of us that want bigger/louder bass can not maintain a factory look but striving for that is a nice touch. Again, I hope you take none of this personally, I am just a perfectionist on stealth/cleanliness of installs and I just see you adding more clutter just makes me shutter.

But I need to sit back and realize this is not my car and all I can do is suggest, in the end you are enjoying your HHR every day and if it puts a smile on your face.....
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM

When I purchased my HHR, black interior was not an option, although it is what I would have preferred. My goal is to get the panals and convert it, so I began with the back cargo area. I am getting a black carpet for the back, as my grey one is beginning to look shabby. Then, the speaker/amp board will blend in more. Next, I will begin getting the panals (or possibly just painting mine, if the paint will hold up and not flake off). I already need to do some extensive work on the panal that used to have the factory speaker. I plan on making the hole square then getting some kind of hinged cover for it.

With black carpet on the floor, the sub should blend right in.
Remember, the hats are just for street parking to conceal the amps. They come off for car shows.

Last edited by Lee3333; 03-12-2008 at 04:31 PM.