Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Two Stereo/Sub/XM Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Two Stereo/Sub/XM Questions

I have the 2006 1 LT with the Pioneer Premium Sound System/MP3 Capable single disc, the radio to have the Category button. My first question is with this radio what do i need to add to have XM without using the stand alane unit i have now, that is plugged in the Ipod jack? My second is about placing my 3 subs and amp in the spare tire area. I just found out that I am going to be a dad, and want to put the subs out of the way so that i can put the stroller etc in there. My subs are pioneers and the website states that these 10's only need 1 cubic foot of airspace per sub, does anyone know the dimensions to make the boxes that i can mount them to a board that will be come the new floor, still want my bass, but also want it to look good. I have seen some of the flush mounted setups on this site and that is the type of look i am going for.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM

First of all, Congrats on the baby!!!

Ok now on to your xm questions. I chuckle a little when people refer to a 3.5 mm head phone jack that sony had in their cassette walkmans in the 80's as an iPod jack . With that being said, Currently there is no aftermarket solution for xm intergration to our vehicles. The Aux Input is currently your only solution.

On to your second question. 3 cubed is a lot of space even though it doesn't sound like much. What type of amp do you have to run them with? I would prob recommend following along the lines of hnewagn on this page
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...?t=3464&page=9
and building a fiberglass ported for one of your 10's.

If you wanted to utilize the floor you could do one in the side and two in the floor, since bass is omni-directional (meaning you can't pin point where it is coming from) this setup might work also and give you a little more room in the floor for the correct size box and maybe keep your sparetire access.

Hope this helps.

Pip
Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM

I think GM does offer an XM retro kit:
GM Accessories XM Radio Kit (P/N 17800594)

For most 3 10" setups I think you would have to raise the floor. 2 10s would work but I think you might need to lose the spare tire.
Some newer shallow mount 10s only state .3 cu/ft is needed, so Im looking to put one of those in the quarterpanel.