Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Want to add a sub to base system

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Want to add a sub to base system

This would be my first try at car audio. I have an '08 LS with base audio system. No amp, sub, mp3 or multidisc. Im not looking to replace the head unit or the existing speakers, they are probably the best entry level factory speakers I have had in a new car. I just want to add a sub to bring in more bass. Also, for now I want to keep all the utility space, its why I bought an HHR, so this will be a hidden install.
So far, Im thinking of getting a shallow 10" sub, building my own box, and putting it in the left rear quarter panel where the pioneer factory sub would be on the premium system. I would like to locate the amp either in the right quarter panel (havent looked yet) or in the spare tire compartment.

1. Im only wanting maybe 200w rms. Would ventilation be an issue with a smaller amp in those locations?
Any recommended amp choices under $200?
2. The kenwood excelon 10" seems the perfect choice, has anyone used them? Do they really live up to the specs? 3.5" deep, .6 cubic foot box either sealed or ported ( I would probably go ported, with polyfil)
http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Ken.../113xw1000.htm
3. How would I patch into the existing system without losing the front or rear door speakers? I dont think the base system has line level output.
4. Is an amp with speaker level inputs ok? Does it do the same thing as a line out converter?
5. Any tips on building the box? Im thinking 1/2" MDF with a couple braces, built similar to the factory unit, but relocate the amp and enlarge the box where that would be, might have room to add an inch or so to the top. With some polyfil Im hoping to get close to a match for the .6 sub.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Check out my thread: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/where-patch-into-audio-subwoofer-ls-w-no-sub-12865/

Don't patch into the radio fuse BTW. It's nice, as it retains power with the radio, but "pops" when you get in or out of the car (as it sends power to the radio for the door chimes).
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Prod-

1) 200W RMS with a good clean amp is a good choice, you can find many subs out there that would work good with that power.

2) I work in a 12volt shop that sells the kenwood speaker and we also carry many other lines. IMHO (In my humble opinion) the kenwood does not live up to the hype. The bass is just not there for lack of a better term. I would personally recommend the pioneer TS-SW1241D for your application (I am planning on going with this very sub). There sound is great for both clairty and bass. That being said, the sub takes a little more power than 200w. I would recommend 400-500 watts on it.

3/4) Peripheral makes a part (P50A) that is a 10/1 line output converter. This would work fine and it is adjustable for matching.

5) Hnewagn's box looks to be the best i have seen on the forum. I would fiberglass it if at all possible. If you are going to use MDF a 3/4" would do better than a 1/2".