General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Loaded 2LT or Base SS.. which one would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Loaded 2LT or Base SS.. which one would you buy?

Ok, I am getting ready to pull the trigger today and need some more advice/comments form all you HHR experts out there.

Which one would you pick:

1. 2LT auto, white/ebony Leather, sunroof, 6 disc, Pioneer speaker system

2. SS auto, silverstone/ebony side airbags

NOTE: I have to have the auto because I want the remote start option, ,plus there where no Silverstone 5 speeds anywhere near me.

The difference in the payment is $24 per month. (SS is of course more)

I am leaning towards the SS for several reasons, like more fun to drive, less of them on the street, better resale value and just all around looks better IMO.

Any comments would be appreciated and thanks to everyone thats answered my questions in here over the past week.

JK
Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jims08ss
Ok, I am getting ready to pull the trigger today and need some more advice/comments form all you HHR experts out there.

Which one would you pick:

1. 2LT auto, white/ebony Leather, sunroof, 6 disc, Pioneer speaker system

2. SS auto, silverstone/ebony side airbags

NOTE: I have to have the auto because I want the remote start option, ,plus there where no Silverstone 5 speeds anywhere near me.

The difference in the payment is $24 per month. (SS is of course more)

I am leaning towards the SS for several reasons, like more fun to drive, less of them on the street, better resale value and just all around looks better IMO.

Any comments would be appreciated and thanks to everyone thats answered my questions in here over the past week.

JK
Depends on what is more important to you, the extra performance of the SS or the toys. The only option my 2LT doesn't have is leather, which I'll be adding this year. With the TTR sway bar added, the car is a blast to drive and I don't need premium fuel to do it. One other thing to think about is how much of a difference will there be with insurance, excise or registration fees.

Again, it is what is more important to you. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM

For me, 46 ands married, the insurance is the same on either one.

The leather is not that big of deal to me. I actually have a 14 month old and she is still in a car seat but as she gets older, not sure if leather or cloth will be better for her and us..

I like the extra performance factor and gas mileage is almost a push (maybe a little better on the 2LT)..

thanks for the comment..

Originally Posted by imagepower
Depends on what is more important to you, the extra performance of the SS or the toys. The only option my 2LT doesn't have is leather, which I'll be adding this year. With the TTR sway bar added, the car is a blast to drive and I don't need premium fuel to do it. One other thing to think about is how much of a difference will there be with insurance, excise or registration fees.

Again, it is what is more important to you. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM

i think the main thing is do you want to drive fast? Do you need super acceleration? Are you going to want to be showing off to others?

I know these aren't the only reasons why to get an SS, but it was a lot of the thoughts going through my mind. I went with the 2LT fully loaded (except leather). The 2LT does fine for what i need. the SS would have been fun to drive, but i don't need to be hot rodding.

I figured if i'm spending that much on a car (i'm 24, so it's a lot to me) I want all the options so it's kind of a luxury vehicle. The SS base is still going to be really nice, but it's still base.

If i had to decide between those actual 2 though it would be hard for me. i don't like white cars, and i don't like leather. The SS looking kickass in silver and black, i don't like the regular silver hhr, but the SS looks good with it.

Premium was the other kicker for me.... i don't like being required to use it.

Good comment on the sway bar up there too, i want to get one soon after i get a few money things taken care of.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM

If "less of them on the street" is truly important, order an '09 SS with AA5 and GET THE MANUAL TRANS!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath about the SS having a better re-sale value. Obviously it will, but not a high enough percentage, unless this becomes a collector's item years from now.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM

I did a trade in value on both vehicles 2008 and the SS was worth 3K more in trade according to NADA and Kelly Blue Book.

That would not be my sole reason, but it does make a difference.

JK

Originally Posted by diskullman
I wouldn't hold my breath about the SS having a better re-sale value. Obviously it will, but not a high enough percentage, unless this becomes a collector's item years from now.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 AM

ss all the way

The ss has a completely diff suspension, forged rims(which gm offers on on this,no other car including the vette)Forged crank,rods, and pistons. Bigger brakes, different guage pod, The difference on mine from the stock ss was 20 dollars a month, moonroof,xm,7-speaker system, racing seat, and my insurance is 62 per month, can't beat that.6 year warranty on the tires too
Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Hear,hear!Get the stick.Hang the remote start.
Sticks are cool.Clutches rule.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM

The SS will have a better reasle value. It's a niche car and they always do pretty dang good if kept in good shape.(I did well on my 03 SRT-4)

Personally I don't like the looks of the standard HHR (sorry guys:)). I never gave them a second look until they improved the bumpers,grill and stance.

The SS has 100 more hp and gets the same mileage.

Quick Reply: Loaded 2LT or Base SS.. which one would you buy?