Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Line Out Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Line Out Converter

For those of you that installed a line out converter, where did you splice into the speaker wires? I know you could do it at the door speakers, but wouldn't that be more trouble than doing it behind the factory head unit? Another thing, should I disconnect the battery before unplugging the harness from the head unit before splicing wires? I've heard conflicting steps about this. Any info would be appreciated
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM

I haven't installed a line converter in my HHR yet, but I've done plenty of installs. You do want to hook that up to the back of the head unit, and yes always disconnect the battery when installing or uninstalling car audio equip!
The one thing I like about having the battery in the back of the car is that it will be easy to install amps, etc in the cargo area. Just need to run an rca cord and remote turn on wire from the headunit, power, ground and you're in business
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM

pm sent
Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 PM

What would ya'll recommend using as connectors for splicing the wires? I've never done a l.o.c. install but I have done a few sub/amp installs and I've always used the "wire nuts" that look like cones that you twist over the ends of the wires
Old 09-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by txbass06
What would ya'll recommend using as connectors for splicing the wires? I've never done a l.o.c. install but I have done a few sub/amp installs and I've always used the "wire nuts" that look like cones that you twist over the ends of the wires
You mean Marretts? I wouldnt use them in a car, IMO the movement and vibration could loosen them. I just twist the wires together properly or solder them and then use electrical tape. Thats what most professional installers do.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by txbass06
ha,ha...that is so old school! I don't recommend using those, I am guilty of using those before but that was back in high school. I won't tell you how long ago that was. I usually use the insulated butt splices and crimp them together on both ends. You could solder them, and cover the connections with heat shrink but that is more time consuming.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by prod
You mean Marretts?
Different place, different name If I was any good at soldering, I wouldn't have even asked but the radio in my car isn't the place I want to practice on Thanks for the input on this. I'd rather ask now with a working radio then ask later and be without any tunes
Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 PM

oh yeah, avoid using electrical tape if possible. It hardly ever stays put, and not to mention it usually ends up making a big sticky mess. No professional installer I've seen uses electrical tape on audio connections??
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Never planned on using electrical tape. I bought some heat shrink this morning and I'm about to go try to get this done. Hopefully I'll be able to post something good this afternoon
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 AM

Well I had everything wired up and working yesterday afternoon and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I really like the way it sounds now. Door speakers are definately next
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Line Out Converter