Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Modifying OEM Speaker Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 10:09 AM

Modifying OEM Speaker Bracket

As you know our OEM speakers are cheap
Really cheap paper ,cones
I forgot who but someone on here told me about modifying the OEM speaker to use Mounting Bracket !

Even though I purchased METRA Adapters had to try it, to see if worth it.

If speaker go on my sons HHR and save him 30$ But would say buy the adapters !

The OEM bracket itself is nicely made ,

The opening is only about 6" so you would have to cut off the external mounting tabs of the6 1/2" aftermarket speakers to make them fit! At least on my POLK speakers you would have to.

IMO I would spend the 30$ + and buy the METRA adapters and not mess with ruining the Aftermarket speakers ,

man the OEM Speakers are really cheaply made lol but the bracket is good :)

Old 04-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Thanks for confirming your findings, to confirm, your 2011 has the basic 6 speaker factory system, 4 in the doors and the 2 A pillar tweeters, right?
Old 04-17-2022, 10:33 AM

Yup 4 in the doors and the 2 in the pillars.
But man those OEM speakers are made super cheap
Old 04-17-2022, 10:42 AM
Administrator

The Pioneer 7 speakers system, doesn’t seem to be so bad, mine are working great.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:46 AM

I really like these POLK Speakers I got . Those METRA Brackets made a easy no drill install.

Now I have 4 spacer/brackets that Crutchfield throws in and the Polks came with 4 Spacer Brackets as well LOL
So I have brackets for future installs for someone lol

My son Richie has the 2 LT so I assume he has the better system. He has been checking this site a lot Ill have to ask him if he joined lol
Old 04-17-2022, 12:41 PM

Or, get 6 inch speakers not 6.5. Worked for me, but I go as cheap as I can, on account of tin foil ears. I can tell sharp and flat, everything in between is just there.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Or, get 6 inch speakers not 6.5. Worked for me, but I go as cheap as I can, on account of tin foil ears. I can tell sharp and flat, everything in between is just there.
Don yea the OEM brackets when the speaker cut out is 6" Good to know 6' would not have to be modded to fit
Old 04-18-2022, 05:01 PM

If you don’t want to buy adaptors for 6-1/2” speakers, the original integral brackets work fine with 5-1/4” speakers. I posted pictures of how I did this somewhere here.

Ah! Found my picture here from the prior postbut don’t know how to find the post, think maybe it was posted in “What did you do” about a year ago. Just hacked the old speaker out with a high-speed cutoff wheel, made some undercuts with the same tool, snapped in the speaker and hot glued the voids to seal it up. Woulda been neater but I didn’t plan on posting.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
If you don’t want to buy adaptors for 6-1/2” speakers, the original integral brackets work fine with 5-1/4” speakers. I posted pictures of how I did this somewhere here.

Ah! Found my picture here from the prior postbut don’t know how to find the post, think maybe it was posted in “What did you do” about a year ago. Just hacked the old speaker out with a high-speed cutoff wheel, made some undercuts with the same tool, snapped in the speaker and hot glued the voids to seal it up. Woulda been neater but I didn’t plan on posting.

You were the one I got the idea from lol. I could not remember who posted it !
I used a oscillating tool to cut the plastic. And the space is 6" . My POLKS 6 1/2 " might fit if the exposed mounting tabs were cut off !
So I will save these and my Polks came with adapters as well as adapters from Crutchfield. BUT I really like those METRA adapters , No fuss no muss lol
Old 04-19-2022, 06:51 AM

The cheapskate in me likes the 5-1/4” speakers hacked into the old hardware, plus the old foam seal is already there, but 6-1/2” speakers tend to sound better, especially if there’s no subwoofer.

As far as I can tell most of the affordable speakers are either 5-1/4” or 6-1/2”. If I need to do this again I’ll probably use 6-1/2” and the adaptors, and stick on some foam.

Of course the two approaches discussed here preserve the original grille. Another option is to hack out the old grille and size the hole for whatever speaker you bought, and use the ugly plastic grilles that come with them. Never considered that, would need to look at the car to see if that would introduce clearance issues. Would likely get bumped by you toes when entering and exiting, anyway.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 04-20-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Modifying OEM Speaker Bracket