Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
Let's say I want to listen to the 8th track on a album. Going from 1 to 8 takes ages. It is ridiculous!
How are you moving through the songs? I can move through a playlist with only a minimal delay just by turning the tuning knob, one click for each song, until I get to the one I want.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Founding Member

Finally a fix for the XM PAL combo

#PIC4963: XM Not Available On Start-up With PAL Installed - (Sep 5, 2008)

Subject: XM not available on start-up with PAL installed

Models: 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR

2007-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2008 Pontiac Solstice

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

2007-2008 Saturn Sky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers with video iPods may occasionally experience the radio starting up in AM or FM band when the radio had been in iPod mode prior to shutting off the vehicle. They may or may not see "XM not available" appear briefly on the radio display before the transition to AM or FM bands.

Recommendation/Instructions:
New PAL software has been developed to correct this condition. Replace the PAL module.

Note: If the vehicle is equipped with XM Radio, XM will need to be enabled again using the Tech 2

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Founding Member

And another

#PIC4562C: GM Accessories Personal Audio Link Communication Issues - keywords accessory accessories audio b1000band ipod pal radio - (Sep 5, 2008)

Subject: GM Accessories Personal Audio Link Communication Issues

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

2007-2008 Saturn Sky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superceded to update RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS. Please discard PIC4562B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The following information relates to 2007 - 2008 model year Chevrolet HHR, Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac Solstice, Pontiac G5, Saturn Sky equipped with the GM Accessories Personal Audio Link, or PAL (P/N 19171028).

1. Tech 2 Communication on Vehicles with PAL: Occasionally, the tech 2 may not recognize PAL. If PAL does not appear in the list of body modules, simply exit and re-select "Body" to re-establish communications. When recognized, PAL will appear next to the F4 tab on The tech 2 software version 27.007 or later should recognize the PAL almost every time on the first try. PAL kits built with module part number 19201522 should not experience this concern.

2. Tech 2 Interrogation of XM Receiver: With PAL installed on the vehicle, it is necessary to switch the radio band to the XM band radio in order to obtain XM module information. If XM radio is not sourced, the Tech 2 will report "No communication with vehicle". Note: The XM band is shared, with the PAL so the technician needs to be sure that the radio XM band is truly on XM radio and not in iPod mode. If iPod mode, radio displays "XM1".

Important: If a PAL module is installed in a vehicle without XM, DO NOT enable XM using the Tech 2. If if XM is enabled in a non-XM vehicle the PAL module will not function. This is due to the PAL module trying to communicate with an XM module that does not exist so the PAL module shuts down. The PAL module can be reset by installing it into an XM-equipped vehicle and disabling the XM feature. The PAL module can then be installed on another non-XM vehicle.

Note: The PAL module was NOT intended to report DTCs, However, it's been discovered that a "test" DTC B1000 is showing up. Dealers should ignore this DTC. PAL modules built after 07/01/08 should not experience this concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Founding Member

And one more

#PIC4828A: XM Radio Intermittently Mutes and Changes Display After Installing PAL - accessories accessory accessorygm audio band channel chevrolte display entertainment ipod link personal - (Sep 5, 2008)

Subject: XM Radio Intermittently Mutes and Changes Display After Installing PAL

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

2007-2008 Saturn Sky

This PI was superceded to change recommendation from "Engineering is investigating. No repair attempts should be made at this time." Please discard PIC4828.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that intermittently, the radio will momentarily mute and display XM station zero while listening to an XM station. This condition only occurs after installation of a GM Accessories Personal Audio Link (PAL) system.

New PAL software has been developed to correct this condition. Replace the PAL module.

Note: If the vehicle is equipped with XM Radio, XM will need to be enabled again using the Tech 2.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Thank you! mine has been doing this since it was installed in June.......
I had another problem which I traced to a loose plug in the back of the Pal Module!

Last edited by tomw; 09-09-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
How are you moving through the songs? I can move through a playlist with only a minimal delay just by turning the tuning knob, one click for each song, until I get to the one I want.
I have 10,000 songs on my iPod. Not sure if that is the issue, but to move 8 songs, one click each, it would take approx 50 seconds.

Moving it 8 clicks doesn't necessarily move it 8 forward. It truly is terrible.

I basically now have a $250 charger. I use the AUX input because the stock iPod interface is so crazily superior.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
#PIC4828A: XM Radio Intermittently Mutes and Changes Display After Installing PAL - accessories accessory accessorygm audio band channel chevrolte display entertainment ipod link personal - (Sep 5, 2008)

Subject: XM Radio Intermittently Mutes and Changes Display After Installing PAL

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

2007-2008 Saturn Sky

This PI was superceded to change recommendation from "Engineering is investigating. No repair attempts should be made at this time." Please discard PIC4828.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that intermittently, the radio will momentarily mute and display XM station zero while listening to an XM station. This condition only occurs after installation of a GM Accessories Personal Audio Link (PAL) system.

Note: If the vehicle is equipped with XM Radio, XM will need to be enabled again using the Tech 2.
I printed this out and brought it to the dealer parts counter I bought the PAL from and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Will not do anything until they call the district rep.

I have contacts at the dealer as we have spent a LOT of money there over the years but I hate going to them for little stuff. What is the best way to get the parts guy to order my replacement unit? (Took them over a month to process the original order and I don't feel like waiting that long again!)

Thanks
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM

BTW - I went to parts instead of service since I did my own install.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM

FWIW - I was told by parts to go thru service which I did. The service department has been VERY accommodating in trying to get this problem resolved. Squeezing me in without appointments, doing whatever they can to help so I have NOTHING but good things to say about them.

That out of the way I have to say, "HEY GM, WTF??????" They ordered a replacement PAL and it does the exact same thing!!!! How about putting the new part number in the bulletin or whatever you call it. Oh and if you are going to issue a replacement you may want to A) remove the old, defective ones from stock and B) have some new ones in the pipeline!!!!!!

Carry on....
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Does anyone know if the replacement PAL's are available yet?

I haven't heard anything in a few days.

Quick Reply: Pictures of GM PAL Ipod controller