Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pioneer AVIC-F500BT Stealth Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Pioneer AVIC-F500BT Stealth Install

Hi Guys, time to give something back to the forum.

I've done a stealth install of a Pioneer AVIC-F500BT GPS, Ipod Interface, Bluetooth phone interface in my 2009 HHR.

The unit sits in the dash cubby and is mounting to a satellite radio swivel which allows me to lay it flat and close the cubby so no one can tell it's installed.

I am getting the audio into the system via a XIA-D01 interface using their aux input cable. This works very well despite my fits with XM control (see my other thread on that). You could also use the line out cable plugged into the aux jack on the radio, but this way the audio is very clean and i have to say i am very happy with the install.

Some may ask why a AVIC-F500BT? Bottom line, it was only around $130 Pioneer refurb on ebay; it's has a lot of features for that much money.

Issues? Well i wish the audio out was a bit louder, but it still sounds really good, and it works with my Iphone too.

Here are some pics...

All closed up so no one can see...

Cubby opened (notice how the unit lays flat)...

Unit tilted up, showing GPS map.

Playing songs from my IPhone...

Iphone cable run to the center console....

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 10-11-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Reduced pic sizes to max 640 x 480!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Sweet!!!

i just check it on crutchfield...there is an optional amp , $99 , if it is really not too loud....did you get 3 free months of msn?...there is also an optional backup camera , (OH , but they want $249 for the pioneer cam )which is 1 reason i got the gps unit i have....this is the 1st of the unit you have that i have seen...i really like it.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i just check it on crutchfield...there is an optional amp , $99 , if it is really not too loud....did you get 3 free months of msn?...there is also an optional backup camera , (OH , but they want $249 for the pioneer cam )which is 1 reason i got the gps unit i have....this is the 1st of the unit you have that i have seen...i really like it.
Believe it or not, the amp is available right now on amazon.com for $19.99, shipped free via 6th avenue electronics. I did not plan on buying it, but for that price i snapped one up. Looking at the instructions i figured out pretty quick that it would be more complicated because i have the 'premium' pioneer sound system with an external amp. It's 5 channel (1 for the sub), and the ND-G500 is only four channel. I've still got it here in the box and it will most likely be a project down the road.

-Steve

PS - the backup camera input is a standard RCA cable and it uses a connection to the reverse switch in the car. There isn't anything special (as far as I can tell) about the camera and since i am not willing to shell out $249 i may seek a cheap alternative.

I do not think it included the MSN 90 day free trial, although i honestly haven't even tried to play with that feature.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 PM

technology

i can't keep up with technology...i don't see how anyone can...that seems to be a great gadget that i've never seen before....and now it is allready discontinued....but thats cool , i guess....maybe the price will come down a little more...well , it was discontinued at crutchfield.....did you see the cam marked down also?......I just opened up a digital camera i picked up cheap that is probably discontinued now.....I was truly amazed at how sweet this little camera was ....but i'm still waiting for the price to come down on the iphone...my cell contract runs out soon , and i think i'd like to have 1.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
....but i'm still waiting for the price to come down on the iphone...my cell contract runs out soon , and i think i'd like to have 1.
I'd love an Iphone ( I have an Ipod touch currently ), but I detest AT&T. I am contesting their claims that I owe them some 700$ after they changed my plan without my knowledge and I subsequently ran up a bill. Those simple silly bastards will never see a dime from me on that bill. Ok, back on topic......I bought a small bullet cam for my Avalanche a few years ago for 100$ on Ebay. That's a very clean install, very nice.