Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

push button start

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 08LaRam
It seems that no one knows how to install a working 'push to start' button with the exception of taping the key fob to the dash except the OP. I withdraw the question.
The chip in the key must be matched to the steering column chip, so the only solution is to have a "matched" key (or the chip anyway) very near the steering column chip. "There ought to be a law" Oh there is one!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The chip in the key must be matched to the steering column chip, so the only solution is to have a "matched" key (or the chip anyway) very near the steering column chip. "There ought to be a law" Oh there is one!
The "matched" key is not near the steering column when my remote start is activated from inside a building 75 feet away. I realize that the chipped key would probably have to be in the ignition at some point during the starting procedure, you are correct on that point. I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to do it. The OP did it so I know that it can be done, I just wanted to know HOW to do it without burning up my wiring harness or some electronic component.
To the other recent responders;
My grandfather had a Reo with a hand crank but having that information or the fact that someone had a 40's or 50's vehicle with a foot start or or a starter button doesn't help answer my question. It is probably a stupid idea anyway and belongs in the classification of TEXTING on a telephone...another stupid idea, Why step BACK in time to create a TELEGRAPH from a cell phone.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Hello LaRam

Perhaps no one has helped you with your original question but why not enjoy the banter?

This is a place where HHR owners get together and rap about their rides.
Opinions? Yes we have a lot of them. Stories - we have those too.

I enjoy the messages on this forum whether or not I am helped and some of this banter gives me ideas for the future.

Boydie

To the other recent responders;
My grandfather had a Reo with a hand crank but having that information or the fact that someone had a 40's or 50's vehicle with a foot start or or a starter button doesn't help answer my question. It is probably a stupid idea anyway and belongs in the classification of TEXTING on a telephone...another stupid idea, Why step BACK in time to create a TELEGRAPH from a cell phone.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM

The "matched" key is not near the steering column when my remote start is activated from inside a building 75 feet away.
But, you cannot DRIVE the car until you put the key into the ignition. If all you want to do is start the car and let it run for 2 cycles 15 minutes each, that will work.

I thought you were talking about starting the car and then driving it with a pushbutton and no key involved. Never mind!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Boydie
Hello LaRam

Perhaps no one has helped you with your original question but why not enjoy the banter?

This is a place where HHR owners get together and rap about their rides.
Opinions? Yes we have a lot of them. Stories - we have those too.

I enjoy the messages on this forum whether or not I am helped and some of this banter gives me ideas for the future.

Boydie
I do enjoy the banter I just guess because I could not get an answer I let my disappointment show too much. And you are right about the stories and antidotal messages, I too enjoy some of the stories and messages even if they don't immediately answer the original question they sometimes create levity which in itself often helps the situation even if not offering a solution to the problem.
And the answers I received did help. They helped me see this was a stupid idea from the start as all it really does is create an additional step it the starting procedure because as DONBREW correctly pointed out you still have to have the key in the ignition so if the key is there why not just turn it and start the vehicle ...as designed.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM

What a Concept! "as designed". I have trouble with that all the time. I have to tell my wife everyday that some engineer worked really hard to make things easy to use, why not try to use it "as designed", but nooooo. A table knife works perfectly as a screwdriver/hammer combo tool, why use the real tool that is in the drawer next to the silverware drawer.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What a Concept! "as designed". I have trouble with that all the time. I have to tell my wife everyday that some engineer worked really hard to make things easy to use, why not try to use it "as designed", but nooooo. A table knife works perfectly as a screwdriver/hammer combo tool, why use the real tool that is in the drawer next to the silverware drawer.
True dat!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 AM

And you are right about the stories and antidotal messages, I too enjoy some of the stories and messages..........
Antidotal?? I think you mean anecdotal unless our are minds being poisoned by this thread.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Antidotal?? I think you mean anecdotal unless our are minds being poisoned by this thread.
Correct although as you say the original might still apply.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM

does the hhr ss have a chipped key? or a PATS (ford) or NATS (nissan) style ignition system where the gauge cluster, ECU, and key have to be coded to each other?
If the keys are chipped how does the chip work on this car? Is the chip tied to the ecu or just the ignition switch/module?

Quick Reply: push button start