Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Radio upgrade - Antenna, GPS, OnStar, Chimes, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Radio upgrade - Antenna, GPS, OnStar, Chimes, etc

Old Subject, new Owner... long after the GM XM Sirius Kit & UK2 are discontinued and newer After market is available.

Looked through several threads, got a little confusing which way was which depending on various items.
2008 HHR LT Panel, 2.2L, OnStar - Not Activated, and I believe I have the radio referred to as the Pioneer model with CAT button for XMSirius, but I do not have the XMSirius hardware.

Goal: No Interest to retain OnStar operation, but do want the XMSirius & GPS operation form antenna on Aftermarket Radio.
Radio - Aftermarket 2Din, probably a Sony XAV-AX200 and XMSirus SXV300.
HHR has 2 antennas: Rr Shark Fin, and Ft Whip antenna.
RPO codes: Has UE1 (OnStar) , US8 (Audio CD MP3), UW5 (6 speaker system) and does Not have UQ3 (7 Speaker system), U2K (XM Radio) or U2J (XM Delete).

I'm confused on a few items:
1) Does the OEM Fin Antenna have the XMSiruis & GPS antenna. I've read conflicting threads. The YouTubes I've seen show a single Antenna lead at the radio dash well and it's not a FRAKA connector... but maybe the Youtube is not correct radio?
Do I need a new Shark fin with additional antenna leads, or connect to existing stub at antenna and run antenna down, or extra antenna exists behind dash if not used?
I'm in the prep & evaluation stage, have not pulled Radio to examine behind & wires, and have not pulled head liner down to examine antenna leads from Shark fin.

2) Strong confussion: GMOS LAN 04 adapter - needed for chimes retention even if not needing to retain OnStar?
If Aftermarket radio has a small built in Amp, that doesn't effect the existing sub woofer amp (I don't think I have sub woofer - RPO code above) or GMOS LAN 04 adapter.
If not concerned about the OnStar is there a different adapter to allow retention of Chimes and works with Aftermarket Radios.
Note - in future will probably change Speakers, but no plans to install a new big amp... the Radio amp is plenty for me.

3) Based on RPO codes above, I have the 6 speaker system and not a 7 speaker system. Probably means I don't have a sub woofer. Can I add a sub woofer and where is the OEM location for Sub Woofer?
If adding a sub woofer, is an Amp required, will the Aftermarket built in Amp provide the power if it has Sub Woofer terminal, does this conflict with the GMOS LAN 04 adapter?

Edited - Found the blank Sub Woofer cover on the Lf Rr Side... so I don't have the OEM SubWoofer is confirmed.

Last edited by dougcjohn; 11-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 AM

If you don’t have the seven speaker pioneer system with amp, I believe all you need is the GMOS LAN 03. It comes with a little speaker you hide behind the dash for chimes, onstar and stuff. Even if you don’t want onstar, it will still remain operational.

With that adapter you can install a new radio and run RCA outs to an amplifier to power your speakers and subwoofer, if you choose. Or you could just use the non amplified radio speaker wires from the new radio. But you will need an amp if you want to add a sub.

The most ideal set up for sound quality is to use the RCA outputs to an amp. Also, because the speakers have different ohm ratings the way they spliced with the tweeters together in the front, it might be safer to use and amp instead of the radio that can go down to 2 ohms. Or just fix the problem which is the front speaker/ tweeter combination and add speakers with a crossover network to separate the sound properly to the front tweeters.

If you have steering wheel controls you will need a steering wheel module to keep them operational as well.

The XM/SIRIUS antenna is a little more complicated. I am not sure if it is part of the rear fin antenna but it does not connect directly to the radio it goes to a module in the back of the car opposite to where the subwoofer would be. From the module it gets sent to the radio. I haven’t attempted to try to utilize that yet for an after market radio, but I believe I read somewhere that it can be done. The front antenna is definitely for radio reception.

Finally all of the speakers are fairly easy to change once you get the door panels off. Adding in a crossover network for the front tweeter can be more complicated unless you want to run a new wire for your tweeter then that is much easier. Accessing the subwoofer and onstar antenna will be the most difficult. You basically have to take everything apart from the rear seats all the way to the spare tire including the walls.

I am unsure about the gps antenna you speak of, unless you mean onstar gps data?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Technical Moderator

The OnStar is GPS, I don't know if the antenna is in the module or in the shark fin. There are different shark fin antennas for XM/Sirius and the combo. The XM/Sirius receiver lives near the OnStar receiver and connects to the HU with wire. All of the radio HUs have the "cat" button and are capable of XM/Sirius interfacing. Pioneer is proud and tells you about it with signage.

The best source of info is Crutchfield; lots of online info and they have support.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gio89kid
If you don’t have the seven speaker pioneer system with amp, I believe all you need is the GMOS LAN 03. It comes with a little speaker you hide behind the dash for chimes, onstar and stuff. Even if you don’t want onstar, it will still remain operational.

With that adapter you can install a new radio and run RCA outs to an amplifier to power your speakers and subwoofer, if you choose. Or you could just use the non amplified radio speaker wires from the new radio. But you will need an amp if you want to add a sub.

The most ideal set up for sound quality is to use the RCA outputs to an amp. Also, because the speakers have different ohm ratings the way they spliced with the tweeters together in the front, it might be safer to use and amp instead of the radio that can go down to 2 ohms. Or just fix the problem which is the front speaker/ tweeter combination and add speakers with a crossover network to separate the sound properly to the front tweeters.

If you have steering wheel controls you will need a steering wheel module to keep them operational as well.

The XM/SIRIUS antenna is a little more complicated. It is the rear fin antenna and does not connect directly to the radio it goes to a module in the back of the car opposite to where the subwoofer would be. From the module it gets sent to the radio. I haven’t attempted to try to utilize that yet for an after market radio, but I believe I read somewhere that it can be done.

Finally all of the speakers are fairly easy to change once you get the door panels off. Adding in a crossover network for the front tweeter can be more complicated unless you want to run a new wire for your tweeter then that is much easier. Accessing the subwoofer and onstar antenna will be the most difficult. You basically have to take everything apart from the rear seats all the way to the spare tire including the walls.
Super... thanks for the info!
On the Antenna fin, The XM radio, if it runs down to the side box that would be to the U2K box if that option was included, which in my HHR it's not and it's not present. So all I'm needing is a XM antenna lead... but your comment did make me realize where the XM antenna lead "would" be if it was present... in the Rt Rr side panel. If it's not in the little chamber the U2K box would be, chances are it's not present.

Same on GPS, that goes to the Rr Fin too. With OnStar wouldn't the GPS lead be in the radio dash area?

Since my post, I did look and verify I do not have the SubWoofer or Amp.
Brings up a new question: I've seen the Subwoofer & attached Amp component - housing being sold often on this forum and eBay. Can I install this package, and if so I'm confused by the large lead coming off the Amp. Where is that all wired, back to the dash radio? Is the 6 Speaker and 7 Speaker radio head the "same" radio, one having the Sub & Amp? Can a 7 speaker system be configured from a 6 speaker system easily... if you have sub & amp component?

I'm a bit confused on your Tweater and crossover modification. Is there a common crossover component that's used.

My current thoughts, tell me where I'm off-base... bear in mind, I'm in my 60's and don't head bang much to vibrating loud music anymore (ahhh, the days!!).
Is to add the OEM housing that includes the SubWoofer and Amp... and "some how" connect it to the Radio. Then add the GMOS LAN 04 and new Sony Radio.
In future, probably upgrade / replace the full set of speakers.... but not overly in a hurry.

My main goal is to 1) Install new Radio for BT, Apple Play, and XM Sirius integration, 2) move my XM lifetime subscription over to new XM SXV300 serial, 3) Gain a little better audio quality.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Ok, the onstar I believe has two antennas. One internal and like stated above possibly combination XM/ONSTAR fin antenna.

So if you are trying to add GPS navigation and XM radio using factory antennas on the car. This may be possible. I would look online for anyone that has done it in general, not just HHR specific. Crutchfield can help with everything else, but you will need to find someone who has done that before.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Technical Moderator

Go to Crutchfield and explore.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The OnStar is GPS, I don't know if the antenna is in the module or in the shark fin. There are different shark fin antennas for XM/Sirius and the combo. The XM/Sirius receiver lives near the OnStar receiver and connects to the HU with wire. All of the radio HUs have the "cat" button and are capable of XM/Sirius interfacing. Pioneer is proud and tells you about it with signage.

The best source of info is Crutchfield; lots of online info and they have support.
I followed all the XM add-on from other HHR threads. If you don't have the RPO and associated UK2 module you needed the GM Kit that included the UK2, antenna leads, etc.
The kit sold for about $320 but has since dried up and discontinued. I do find the UK2 modules on eBay, but have since transitioned to wanting to upgrade the radio HU too.

It's becoming clear that I'll need to run some antenna wire and probably change the Shark Fin that has multiple connections.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Go to Crutchfield and explore.
I'll try them again, I examined several areas but wasn't clear on the integration between the components.
You indicate they have support, I'll try their support channel too.
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 AM

The XM and Onstar are in the same area opposite of the subwoofer. If you do not have the module, I am sure the antenna leads would be routed there.

The factory 7 speaker sound system may sound nice as is, is actually a terrible design. They take 4 ohm speakers and put two in the front and back and then add 2 ohm tweeter and splice them in with the front creating a 3 ish ohm load in the front. The amplifier then outputs power accordingly and also powers the subwoofer.

The best option, is to get the GMOS LAN 03 adapter if that is proper for your car, check with crutchfield, and then here is your options:

Shallow mount sub/amp combination that fits back there, I believe others on here have tried this. RCA ran straight from new radio to that sub. Since you don’t want to change the speakers at this time you can leave them hooked up directly to your new radio no amp.
Or you can add an amp, it’s your choice, in which case you would use the RCAs for everything.

As far as the crossover tweeter situation, if you want the best sound possible you would remove the splice that connects the tweeter to the front speakers and add a crossover to properly separate the sound. These come with new component speakers, so if you are not changing your speakers at this time, then leave it as is.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Administrator

You can find all adaptors and kits with suggested matching speakers and subwoofers, amps and wiring here

https://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

Quick Reply: Radio upgrade - Antenna, GPS, OnStar, Chimes, etc