Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Radio Volume Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Radio Volume Etiquette?

I've had aftermarket stereo systems in my other cars, and it's in the plans for the SS sometime. However, I never turned it up unless I was moving, meaning if it bothered someone they could easily move away from me. I always tried to be polite about it and turn it down through neighborhoods late at night, when waiting in line at a drive through, when sitting at a redlight, etc. Even now with the stock system, I turn it down a bit if I notice people next to me with their windows down in the same situations.

Do you guys do the same thing?

Also, I'd get really upset when someone did the same thing to me that I was trying NOT to do for other people, so if it happened I'd find a complete opposite of whatever they were listening to (country is the complete opposite of just about everything) and turn it to full volume to make sure they got the message. Usually, they got a clue and turned it down.

Edrazorlite and others with serious equipment, got any funny stories? Ever make annoying people bumping music at redlights hold their ears?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM

I totally agree...I can't stand when people think they're doing me a favor when their "bumping" their 60 cents music, like I wasn't enjoying my own.

Quite often....here in AZ I come to a stoplight and a CARLOAD of illegals fresh over the border has their windows down (presumably because A/C doesn't work, you'd have to be an idiot out here in 115* weather do do so otherwise) and they are playing their godawful south of the border music at 10kDB on some crap stereo.

I like to turn up some slayer or slipknot and give them a nice glare....reminding them who's town it is....

:)
Old 10-02-2008, 02:53 PM

I agree, I like my music (blues), and like it cranked up sometimes, but am aware that others may not, so I turn it down when I know others may be able to hear it.
Your title "radio volume etiquette" sums it up. Some people just don't have any.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 PM

I used to always turn mine down..............when I saw a cop! That was back in my s-10, snug top, orion hcca days!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:56 PM

radio volume etiquette

There should be no reason why anyone would drive around blaring their music for numerous reasons. For one, its dangerous because you can't hear emergency vehicles approaching or even trains at railway crossing that don't have flashing lights. I find I get kids with neon's, civics, mazdas etc that will get nice and close to my rear bumper to read "turbocharged" on the back of my HHR, and then when they realize what i'm driving, they crank up their bass polluting beater with a set of nice wheels to say "well i've got a better stereo because i've got 2 12" subs". Anyone that cranks their stereo loud enough to vibrate other's homes/cars while their driving is just a lonely person out looking for attention. Don't even look at them or respond by turning your stereo up, they're just looking for your attention and a reaction. It's one thing to build a nice sounding balanced system to enjoy whatever music you like when your washing your car or sitting outside throwing a ball around while camping, but its totally retarded (in my opinion) to throw 2 12" 1000 watt subs in the back just so you can shake your nuts on your seat. Honestly does anyone even think that sounds good? Not me!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by damienSS
...its totally retarded (in my opinion) to throw 2 12" 1000 watt subs in the back just so you can shake your nuts on your seat.Honestly does anyone even think that sounds good? Not me!
No, but it might be an effective form of birth control.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 PM

I saw a sig here that states, "If its too loud, you're too old".
Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 AM

see signature
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by h0ffy
I totally agree...I can't stand when people think they're doing me a favor when their "bumping" their 60 cents music, like I wasn't enjoying my own.

Quite often....here in AZ I come to a stoplight and a CARLOAD of illegals fresh over the border has their windows down (presumably because A/C doesn't work, you'd have to be an idiot out here in 115* weather do do so otherwise) and they are playing their godawful south of the border music at 10kDB on some crap stereo.

I like to turn up some slayer or slipknot and give them a nice glare....reminding them who's town it is....

:)
So if I pulled up to you bangin my Latin Music would you assume I was illegal too? I'd love to drown out your god awful slayer with some Tego Calderon or Don Omar or maybe I'll let the rocker come out crank some deftones or Tool @ 140+db! Then I speed off as you stare at my proudly placed Mexican American flags reminding you how the Brown the southwest actually is...:p

But back to the subject @ hand, I don't normally blast my music while out riding around. Out of respect of others I keep it to a gentle boom. When I do make my roof flex it's at a car show, if I'm tuning it or I'm out cruising the strip or club scene. If someone wants to be an ass or give nasty looks or stares I will give them a reason to. Or that annoying Bible Bandit who is always yelling through the megaphone pushing his religion on traffic at the particular intersection... Nothing a lil ol' classic Ozzy can't handle! lol

Last edited by Digital_Rapture; 10-03-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Over a yr ago some guy took care of his neighbor that did loud music. A couple of squeezes on a trigger took care of it. So how many more want to take that chance? gives you something to think about----- is that guy next to me carrying a guy and is he about to snap!

Quick Reply: Radio Volume Etiquette?